none
using ssrs as a ui for lookup table updates

Question

• Hi we run 2012 enterprise. Is it possible for a user to input a value into a text box? And that value be passed to the db server? How about multiple text box values? How about in the matrix area rather than the param area?

My thought is that I don't want to learn asp but I would like some simple maintenance ui capability on a few of my new lookup tables.

Friday, April 21, 2017 7:11 PM

Answers

• Hi db042190,

As we all know, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is a reporting tool, the use of which is to design and deploy various kinds of reports. This platform is meant for just reporting – or in other words: Viewing data.

However, it’s also possible to use this platform for updating data. The key to this special usage of Reporting Services is the Dataset of type "Stored Procedure". In SQL Server Reporting Services, one form of getting data for your report is executing a stored procedure in your database. Technically, when we use stored procedures in SSRS, all they need to do is:

1. Receive parameter values.
    2. Do some processing.
    3. Return a set of data.

For more information about how to achieve that, please refer to:
    SSRS can be also used for user inputs!
    Update Tables with Reporting Services
    Using Reporting Services as your Software FrontendHowever, in a SSRS report, users are only allowed to enter values manually in parameter textbox. It's not available to input a value into textbox in report body.

If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Yuliana Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by db042190 Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:37 AM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi db042190,

As we all know, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is a reporting tool, the use of which is to design and deploy various kinds of reports. This platform is meant for just reporting – or in other words: Viewing data.

However, it’s also possible to use this platform for updating data. The key to this special usage of Reporting Services is the Dataset of type "Stored Procedure". In SQL Server Reporting Services, one form of getting data for your report is executing a stored procedure in your database. Technically, when we use stored procedures in SSRS, all they need to do is:

1. Receive parameter values.
    2. Do some processing.
    3. Return a set of data.

For more information about how to achieve that, please refer to:
    SSRS can be also used for user inputs!
    Update Tables with Reporting Services
    Using Reporting Services as your Software FrontendHowever, in a SSRS report, users are only allowed to enter values manually in parameter textbox. It's not available to input a value into textbox in report body.

If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Yuliana Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Olaf HelperMVP Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by db042190 Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:37 AM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 5:55 AM
  • thx yuliana.  We already know how to exec sp's from ssrs.  The real question is whether a user can type passable values to the sp in any other area beside the param area? 

Picture a list of 10 rows (in matrix or table control) from Table x and the user wants to update 2 of the rows.  Or one open row in which the user can insert a new row.

Or perhaps a report that shows side by side in the param section col name and an open text box into which user can type value.  Hiding any excess params depending on # cols in the table chosen.  And perhaps below that a matrix or table control with the current contents of the table chosen. 

I did post at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ecc52268-e09c-469c-bed7-9b007bee7685/off-the-shelf-tools-for-insertupdatedelete-to-sql-tables?forum=csharpgeneral a similar question for the c# folks but asking for a solution that is more abstract than the ones I see where there is tons of custom code not only for the app but for each table the user is allowed to update.

• Edited by db042190 Monday, April 24, 2017 11:23 AM more info
    Monday, April 24, 2017 10:25 AM
  • I just got word from my previous employer that they used asp.net dynamic data link in VS 2010.
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:55 PM
  • user can type passable values to the sp in any other area beside the param area?

Simply: No. As Yuliana already wrote, SSRS is for view data, not a UI to edit data.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by db042190 Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by db042190 Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:32 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:56 AM