none
Xamarin Previewer not Showing Control Handles RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently started converting my apps from UWP to Xamarin. In the Visual Studio Designer for UWP (and everything else I have ever done in Visual Studio), the Designer displayed handles (little white squares) in the corners of the current control, or indicated the selected control(s) in some other way. But in the Xamarin Previewer, the Previewer completely ignores the location of the cursor in the code. Is this by design, or is there something I need to change or fix in my settings? I would definitely be more productive if the Previewer & Text Editor stayed in sync (not to mention that the Properties window does not always stay in sync with the code, either).

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Nathan,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to your description, you should have created the xamarin forms mobile app.This kind of project previewer is simply for display and cannot be edited, so when you click on the code of the control, you won't lock the control in the previewer. And you can not realize it by changing settings.

>>But projects other than the form xamarin app like the android app or ios app can lock the UI control by clicking on the code of the control.

If you still want this feature in Xamarin Forms App, you can suggest this feature to VS Product Team(Help-->Seed Feedback-->Suggest a Feature)

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:23 AM
  • Hi Nathan Sokalski,

Sorry for bothering you.

>>the Previewer completely ignores the location of the cursor in the code.

As far as I know, when you edit the android layout, it will locate the control where the cursor locates

And when you modify some details in the code editor, the designer will update automatically.

If I misunderstand it, could you share the screenshot or gif to help us better analysis it?

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Here are screenshots of the Previewer & Text Editor:

These screenshots are obviously for the Button, but the same thing happens (or maybe for this topic I should say DOESN'T happen!) for all the different controls (Grid, StackLayout, Frame, Image, Label, etc.). However, I noticed that in your screenshot, the Previewer looks more like the Designer from UWP than the Previewer from Xamarin. The handles do appear for me in Universal/UWP projects, it is only Xamarin that it doesn't show them. Any ideas? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Hi Nathan,

This is the nature of xamarin form. We cannot lock this control in the designer through the code in xaml.

Maybe you can try to migrate it to the andorid app or ios app project. If you still want this feature in Xamarin form app, you can suggest a feature to VS Product Team.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Perry

Friday, October 25, 2019 11:13 AM