Importing ATOM feeds in the RSS web part RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having an issue with importing an ATOM feed into the RSS web part.

The feed we wish to show on our site is this: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-health.atom

As long as the feed is a .xml feed they work fine but has anyone found a way to view one of these feeds or can you use this feed specifically ?

I've tried my best to find solutions or even bespoke web parts but to no avail.. any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks Scott,

I tried that but with no success..

I have however managed to create a work around which uses the rss web part.

I actually created an account with yahoo and created a pipes account which when you fetch in the ATOM feed into and rss reader and then export it as an rss link and then use that rss url in the rss sharepoint web part it works.

It's a crude workaround but hey whatever works.

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Scott Brickey Friday, April 4, 2014 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by ChrisBurnsDev Friday, April 4, 2014 4:38 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 12:51 PM

All replies

• RSS and ATOM are two entirely separate protocols. While they both use HTTP for the communications, they use ENTIRELY different XML schemas. The fact that the RSS reader web part doesn't read ATOM feeds should not be surprising. I would also not expect the RSS reader web part to read a list of files on an FTP server.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:39 PM
  • Hi Scott,

thanks for the reply , granted I wasnt expecting it to work and yes they are different schemas but still based on xml . I should have worded my post a little better.

My question should have been: has anyone built or managed to change the rss web part to allow the reading of .atom to display like a rss web part.?

I understand why it doesnt work but want to know how and if anyone has got it to work or can make it work.

Thanks

Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:00 AM
  • It's been a little while, but I think I'd choose the XML Viewer web part, with some quick XSLT. Or just go find/download a web part to do it.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:59 PM
  • Thanks Scott,

I tried that but with no success..

I have however managed to create a work around which uses the rss web part.

I actually created an account with yahoo and created a pipes account which when you fetch in the ATOM feed into and rss reader and then export it as an rss link and then use that rss url in the rss sharepoint web part it works.

It's a crude workaround but hey whatever works.

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Scott Brickey Friday, April 4, 2014 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by ChrisBurnsDev Friday, April 4, 2014 4:38 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 12:51 PM