none
Visual Studio won't start RRS feed

• Question

• The application won't start. The VS logo appears, then it closes and the app doesn't start. The process (devenv.exe) says "Running", then "Suspended", then "Running" again and dies. Previously I had VS 2017 Community, I remember it worked before, but the other day I tried to start it and it just won't, even after repairing the installation. Today I have uninstalled VS 2017 Community, along with the installer and VS Code and installed VS 2019 Community, it still won't start.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:51 AM

Answers

• Hi again,

I found out how to solve the issue.

Turns out it only happened when I had my external display connected via HDMI (I'm using VS in a laptop). After disconnecting HDMI, VS started successfully. I disabled some options under the Environment->General section of Options menu and now it starts fine even with HDMI connected.

Info for developers: Something that could help find the problem is that the resolutions aren't the same. Nevertheless, it was working perfectly when HDMI was disconnected but threw an error when it was connected (the direction 0xwhatever points to 0x000...000) (the error alert ONLY appeared after updating to the last Windows feature update). Now it works fine even with HDMI connected (I didn't change anything, just some settings related with screens under the Environment->General section of Options).

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Jorge

• Edited by Jorge BA Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:24 AM Change the message to help people having the same issue
    • Marked as answer by Jorge BA Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:36 AM

All replies

• Try starting it in safe mode. If that works then the problem is a plugin or whatever.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:14 PM
  • Hi Jorge BA,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Have you tried what Sam Hobbs said? Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.

Did you get any error message when you install visual studio 2019? Please reboot your machine and ensure your Windows has completed all updates. And right-click visual studio-> run as administrator.

Then you could try to run the sfc /scannow command or DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

If this issue still persists, I need your help to gather the log. Please run the command: devenv /log in the elevated command prompt, then the log file%APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml to https://onedrive.live.com/and share the link here.

Best regards,

Eden

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 10, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Hi Jorge BA,

Sorry for disturb you! Did your issue is solved?

If my reply doesn't work, please feel free to let us know. We will try our best to help you, looking forward your feedback.<o:p></o:p>

Best regards,

Eden

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hi again,

I found out how to solve the issue.

Turns out it only happened when I had my external display connected via HDMI (I'm using VS in a laptop). After disconnecting HDMI, VS started successfully. I disabled some options under the Environment->General section of Options menu and now it starts fine even with HDMI connected.

Info for developers: Something that could help find the problem is that the resolutions aren't the same. Nevertheless, it was working perfectly when HDMI was disconnected but threw an error when it was connected (the direction 0xwhatever points to 0x000...000) (the error alert ONLY appeared after updating to the last Windows feature update). Now it works fine even with HDMI connected (I didn't change anything, just some settings related with screens under the Environment->General section of Options).

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Jorge

• Edited by Jorge BA Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:24 AM Change the message to help people having the same issue
    • Marked as answer by Jorge BA Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hi Jorge BA,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your sharing.

BTW, if you think your reply or my reply is helpful, please mark it as answer and it will help other community members who have the same or similar to easier search them, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Eden

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:15 AM