Can't create a SharePoint 2013 Site Collection - RRS feed

• Question

• I get the error below. The Web Application created successfully, but I cannot add a site collection to it. I can however add new site collections to existing web applications. I tried to creating new web application after this one, and I have the same issue. 

https://xxxxcloud.com/_catalogs/masterpage/SearchMain.aspx - An unexpected error has been encountered in this Web Part.  Error: This page has encountered a critical error. Contact your system administrator if this problem persists., DesignText: <webParts>
                            <webPart xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WebPart/v3">
                                <metaData>
                                    <type name="Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.WebControls.SearchBoxScriptWebPart,Microsoft.Office.Server.Search,Version=15.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />
                                    <importErrorMessage>Cannot import this Web Part.</importErrorMessage>
                                </metaData>
                                <data>
                                    <properties>
                                        <property name="Title" type="string">$Resources:Microsoft.Office.Server.Search,SearchBoxWP_Title;</property>
                                        <property name="Description" type="string">$Resources:Microsoft.Office.Server.Search,SearchBoxWP_Desc;</property>
                                        <property name="ChromeType">None</property>
                                        <property name="AllowMinimize" type="bool">true</property>
                                        <property name="AllowClose" type="bool">true</property>
                                        <property name="Hidden" type="bool">false</property>     
                                        <property name="ResultsPageAddress" type="string">results.aspx</property>
                                        <property name="SetFocusOnPageLoad" type="bool">true</property>
                                    </properties>
                                </data>
                            </webPart>
                        </webParts>, SourcePreamble: DWP

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:11 PM

Answers

• I figured out my own issue.

For some reason when I created the Web Application, it did not put any files in the virtual directory in IIS (still haven't figured that out)

I copied the files from a working web application, and you need to add "everyone" with "read" only permission to the entire directory. 

After doing this I was able to create the site collection using the central admin webpage. 

Thanks for the help everyone. 
    • Marked as answer by mikeblooom Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:27 AM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:27 AM

All replies

• check ULS for further exception information also check the user permission and permission policy of the web application 

Hope that helps|Amr Fouad|MCTS,MCPD sharePoint 2010

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:04 PM
  • What is ULS? I checked the permissions and everything seems to be correct. 
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:31 AM
  • how you trying to create the site collection?

on the error page..you will see a correlation id.....use that id and get the log trace. follow instruction from this technet

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff463595.aspx

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:14 AM
  • I have made all of my site collections through the Central Administration Webpage. Should I try doing it through powershell; do you think it will make a difference?
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:36 AM
  • Hi,

What is ULS?
    You can use data from the Unified Logging Service (ULS) logs in SharePoint 2013 to troubleshoot problems in the farm. The ULS logs can collect data at varying levels depending on the logging settings. You can use Windows PowerShell to filter the data, display it in various ways, and output the data to a data grid with which you can filter, sort, group, and export data to Excel 2013.
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS

Try to create using powershell
    PowerShell Script to Create Site Collections
    To run you can copy the below script and paste it into a ps1 file.

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.Powershell
    Write-Host "This script can be used to create Site Collections for SharePoint 2013"
    $webApp = Get-SPWebApplication | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq "SharePoint HNSC Host - 80"}
    IF ($webApp){
     $ans = Read-Host "I found a HNSC Host Web App, would you like me to use it?. Y or N"

}
    ELSE {
     $ans = 'N'
    }
    IF ($ans -eq 'N' -or $ans -eq 'n') {
     $webApp = $null
        Write-Host "Here are the web applications I see on your farm"
        Get-SPWebApplication
     while (!$webApp) {
      $webAppName = Read-Host "What is the DisplayName of the Web Application you'd like to use? "
      $webApp = Get-SPWebApplication | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq $webAppName}
      IF (!$webApp) {Write-Host "I didn't find a Web Application with that name. Be sure to enter the full name exactly as it's listed above."}
     }
    }
    $siteName = Read-Host "Site Name"
    $siteDescription = Read-Host "Site Description"
    $siteUrl = Read-Host "Site Url (ie http://site.sp2013.com)"
    $seeTemplates = Read-Host "Would you like to see a list of templates codes? Y or N"
    IF ($seeTemplates -eq 'y' -or $seeTemplates -eq 'Y') {Get-SPWebTemplate}
    $siteTemplate = Read-Host "Site Template (ie Blank - STS#0, Team STS#1, etc)"
    $siteAdmin = Read-Host "Site Admin (ie ms\devspadmin)"
    $createDB = Read-Host "Finally would you like to create a new Content Database for this Site Collection?"
    $db = $null
    IF($createDB -eq 'Y' -or $createDB -eq 'y') {
        $dbName = Read-Host "Database Name"
        Write-Host "Creating Database..."
        $db = New-SPContentDatabase -name $dbName -webApplication $webApp
    }
    ELSE {
        Get-SPContentDatabase -webapplication $webApp
        while(!$db) {
            $dbName = Read-Host "What Content Database would you like to use?"
            $db = Get-SPContentDatabase -Identity $dbName
            IF (!$db) {Write-Host "I didn't find a Content Database with that name. Be sure to enter the full name exactly as it's listed above." }
        }
    }
    Write-Host "Creating Site Collection..."
    New-SPSite -Name $siteName -Url $siteUrl –HostHeaderWebApplication $webApp -Template $siteTemplate -OwnerAlias $siteAdmin -ContentDatabase $db -Description $siteDescription
    Write-Host "Script Complete"

thx

iffi

Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:55 AM
  • I figured out my own issue.

For some reason when I created the Web Application, it did not put any files in the virtual directory in IIS (still haven't figured that out)

I copied the files from a working web application, and you need to add "everyone" with "read" only permission to the entire directory. 

After doing this I was able to create the site collection using the central admin webpage. 

Thanks for the help everyone. 
    • Marked as answer by mikeblooom Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:27 AM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:27 AM