none
CQWP stops showing results, until it is edited

Question

• I have 2 WFE on SP2010 with SP1 - we have a CQWP on a page that displays results from a list on another web in the same site collection.  The CWQP seems to stop displaying results every day.  I checked yesterday and got no results. I then edited the webpart (changing the XSLT template) and saved changes and the results the appeared. I edited again and changed the XSLT template back to the original value, and the results are still visible.

When the results are not visible, they also do not appear when the webpage is in edit mode.

I checked it throughout the day yesterday and always got results.  When I came in this morning, it again displayed no results. This has been going on for a couple of weeks (it's a new site, so I don't have a lot of history)

I have exported the webpart and edited the XML and set UseCache to False and re-uploaded the webpart, same results (results stop appearing after some time)

This morning I edited the Site Collection settings and disabled the Object Cache and also forced a purge of the Object Cache, but the CQWP still showed no results until I edited the webpart - then results are again displayed.

I found an example of how to execute a query against both the CrossListQueryCache and the SPSiteDataQuery objects using powershell, and executed the same query (which I found using ULS viewer) against both WFE, and they all returned results.

I don't know what else to look for. I don't see any related errors in the ULS logs. I thought it was a caching issue, but when I query via powershell I get results.

Any suggestions? - I'm at a loss

• Edited by jj_the_Skeptic Friday, November 15, 2013 2:29 PM typo in title
    Friday, November 15, 2013 2:26 PM

Answers

• The XSLT file was checked in, approved and published.  This morning, the content WAS still visible (after editing the webpart and changing CacheXslTimeOut value to 60

I tentatively think this has fixed the issue - although I still don't know the underlying cause.  I suppose this is close enough for now. If it recurs, I'll post back to this thread.

Thanks for the assistance.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:16 PM

All replies

• when you say no result, is their any error message in the webpart,

I am suspecting, only thing over the night happen is app pool recycled and timer services recycled.

I would try this, if its you dev farm, 1st recycle the app pool of web application under which your site collectionis. if this is the problem then fine.

2nd restart the timer services and see if issue reproduced.

I would also enable the verbose loggin level to get the error, if its failed some time during the night.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:53 AM
  • when I said "no result" - the webpart displayed nothing - no error message and no data.  But, when I looked at the HTML produced, I do see 5 <li> nodes but no items/content within them. (I have the CQWP set to display 5 results)

This weekend, it was again showing no results and I reset the application pool - still nothing, then I reset IIS - still no results.  I also stopped/restarted the Timer service - still no results.

I've exported the webpart and I have changed the CacheXslTimeOut property from 86400 to 60, then deleted the original webpart and imported the changed one.  I'll advise if that has any impact - since the HTML shows 5 listItem entries, I'm wondering if it is related to getting the XSL template somehow.

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:59 PM
  • I remember a similar thread to this a while back, in that case the xslt wasn't checked in and it was only being fetched when an admin viewed the page, caching kept it going when normal users accessed the page.

It's possible that this is the same thing, can you check both the items (as un-checked in files aren't included) and the XSLT to make sure they're all approved/published?

It's not a perfect fit but it's worth a look. Oh and i'm pretty sure the CacheXslTimeOut doesn't work on the CEWP.

Monday, November 18, 2013 7:11 PM
  • The XSLT file was checked in, approved and published.  This morning, the content WAS still visible (after editing the webpart and changing CacheXslTimeOut value to 60

I tentatively think this has fixed the issue - although I still don't know the underlying cause.  I suppose this is close enough for now. If it recurs, I'll post back to this thread.

Thanks for the assistance.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:16 PM