none
Question about "Get Started With Your Web Site" web part

Question

• Hello,

I wonder what exactly is the "Get Started With Your Web Site" web part and if there is any way to customize it.

Thank you,

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• The Getting Started Web Part is initially displayed on newly created Site Collections, users with the appropriate permissions can close the Web Part, which remains in the gallery in the event you would like to have it added back to the site.  For customization purposes the following members are exposed http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.webpartpages.gettingstartedwebpart_properties.aspx.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Hi Bill,

The link you referred is not working.

Is it possible to change the labels and links in the web part?

If the answer is not, is there any alternative way to create similar look with other web parts?

Thank you,

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:26 AM
  • Hi Allan,

It is a "Promoted Links" list in SharePoint 2013, you can create a new ""Promoted Links" list per the following article, and you can also insert this list in home page.

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/anavijai/promoted-links-app-in-sharepoint-2013/

You can also remove the "Get started with your web site" web part after you deactivate the site feature "Getting Started".

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:20 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for help.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Bill,

I know this is old, but I cant find a list anywhere of the individual item settings in the OOTB gettting started web part.  

I want to create a custom version of this for some sites, and want to include most but not all of the tiles that are in the OOTB one.   

Any chance there is an updated version of the link above that explains the settings for each tile in the web part?

Tas Ranson

Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:25 PM
  • A few clarifications...

Get started with your site is a web part, while Promoted Links is an app part.  Get started with your site can be found in the site's Web Part Gallery and is a member of that group of web parts available by default to all site templates.

The Get started with your site web part is displayed on those new created site collections, for which the Wiki Page Home Page feature is activated.  This feature causes the site landing page to be a wiki page.  It is activated by default for these visible OOTB site templates:

• Team Site
    • Project Site
    • Visio Process Repository

You can have the Get started with your site web part displayed for any other site by simply activated the Wiki Page Home Page feature.  You can also add it to any page at any time.

In contrast, the Promoted Links app part only becomes available after activating the Team Collaboration Lists feature.

General

Saturday, April 04, 2015 6:11 PM
  • When deactivating this feature, the site home page still keeps the web part - so additional work is needed to remove the web part from the home page in an automated fashion.

Alex Talarico

Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:04 PM