Contact List Picture and Outlook 2010 Contact sync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having SP 2010 Contact List populated with default Contacts items. Contact pictures are attached to contact items. Pictures are in Outlook format and are named ContactPicture.jpg

When I connect Contact List with Outlook 2010, every contact is synced but without picture.

Is there a way to sync contact pictures to outlook directly. (not from Outlook to SP List)

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Alex

Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

The pictures that Outlook use are from Active Directory and therefore the profile picture from SharePoint needs to be exported back.  This should put you on the right track.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/russmax/archive/2010/02/27/sharepoint-2010-profile-picture-property-101.aspx

“In order to synchronize user profile pictures between Microsoft SharePoint Server, AD DS, and Outlook 2010 by using the Microsoft Outlook Social Connector, you must set the Data Source Connection for the Picture property mapping to Export. “

Paul Turner http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Thanks Paul,

but that's not the case that i have.

I'm building company address book. Not all the people are in AD, and not all of them have user profiles.

The case is that i have SP Contact list, that I want to manually maintain.

That list have default contact item CT, that I want to sync with Outlook.

The result would be Outlook contact list, with company address book, that is syncing with SP list.

The problem is how to add contact pictures from SP list to Outlook contact list.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:11 PM
  • I see, there are a number of options for syncing various lists and types between Outlook 2010 and SharePoint 2010.  Outside of those, and obviously depending on your requirements you might possibly be looking at a custom solution.

Paul Turner http://redmanta.co.uk/blog Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Hi Alex

Did you find a solution to this, I am seeing the exact same problem.

If you add a contact photo to the Sharepoint list then it is not displayed in Outlook. A further problem here is that if the contact is saved in Outlook then picture URL is overwritten so picture is lost in Sharepoint.

If you add the picture from Outlook then no problem, picture is displayed in Sharepoint and Outlook.

If you use the same methodology that Outlook uses to add the picture by adding the picture as an attachment in Sharepoint and calling it ContactPicture.jpg then it displays fine in Sharepoint (as you would expect) but there is still nothing displayed in Outlook.

In short from what I can tell is the only way to get them to display in both is to add the contact picture via Outlook.

NOTE: these contact are external so do not exist in AD.

D

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:02 PM