none
Distributed Cache in SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Hoping someone could provide me some assistance/guidance for "Distributed Cache on SharePoint 2013". I have read through quiet alot of blogs and some people are saying having dedicated server for Distributed Cache and some says you could configure it on WFE end servers. If I were to configure "Dedicated" Server for Distribution Cache - can I configure it to do load balance; in-case one goes down and it doesn't loose any cache. Is there any guide how to configure Dedicated server? If dedicated box is configured and something goes wrong - will it still bring down the farm?

Appreciate the assistance in advance

I have build my Production SharePoint 2013 Environment - below are specifications:

2 WFE Servers (Network Load Balance) - 12 GB Each Server

2 APP Server (Network Load Balance) - 16 GB Each Server - Central Administration; All the SharePoint Services Configured Here

1 Office Web Apps Server

Thanks

DPS

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:08 PM

Answers

• Yes, have a SharePoint server just running the DC.  Hardware/software requirements are the same.  You don't need to change the account or worry about permissions to SQL, SharePoint takes care of that for you.

You would want to have >1 server with DC running on it.  But yes, you can have data loss (mostly surrounding social) if the DC unexpectedly goes down.  

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Lindali Monday, November 18, 2013 1:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:34 AM
  • the main thing if DC goes down, will effect your Social Data and many cases Mysites also.( that's from our experience). in extreme scenario you may ends up to rebuild the farm.

you could configure the DC on App server or WFE as well, both modes supported dedicated and collocated mode. If dedicated mode, install sharepoint on it join the server to the farm, then stop all services and configure the DC.

you dont want to use the farm admin account for DC, if you, you will see error in Health analyzer. use seprate account.

check this tech-net for planning stuff.will give you hardware and other planning stuff.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219572.aspx#plandc

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:20 AM

All replies

• Dedicated DC servers simply just run the Distributed Cache service and nothing else.  Yes, you'll want to have 2 or more, but you don't need to do any sort of external load balancing.

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Hello Nauplius,

Thanks for replying back. 

As per dedicated DC Server :

--- Are you referring I could configure another SharePoint Server 2013 and join it to farm and turn off all the servers except "Distributed Cache"?

--- What kind of access would the Distributed Cache need in SQL or SharePoint or any? 

---- Should I create a "generic account" for Distributed Cache?

--- Basic hardware requirements?

--- Incase something happens to Distributed Cache Server - does it affect the farm in way to corrupt or have to rebuild the farm?

Appreciate all your help in advance

Thanks

DPS

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:32 AM
  • Yes, have a SharePoint server just running the DC.  Hardware/software requirements are the same.  You don't need to change the account or worry about permissions to SQL, SharePoint takes care of that for you.

You would want to have >1 server with DC running on it.  But yes, you can have data loss (mostly surrounding social) if the DC unexpectedly goes down.  

Trevor Seward, MCC

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:34 AM
  • the main thing if DC goes down, will effect your Social Data and many cases Mysites also.( that's from our experience). in extreme scenario you may ends up to rebuild the farm.

you could configure the DC on App server or WFE as well, both modes supported dedicated and collocated mode. If dedicated mode, install sharepoint on it join the server to the farm, then stop all services and configure the DC.

you dont want to use the farm admin account for DC, if you, you will see error in Health analyzer. use seprate account.

check this tech-net for planning stuff.will give you hardware and other planning stuff.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219572.aspx#plandc

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:20 AM