WorkflowStatus column showing status 8 across all ListItems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a list that has a two out of the box workflows i.e. Approval Workflows and one custom workflow (C#) attached to it.

We know that for each Workflow, a new column is automatically  created in the list; showing the status of the workflow.

From the front end I see, that these columns show the correct status i.e. In Progress / Completed etc.

However suddenly from past few days the internal value of these columns is showing 8 which is in correct and because of which the custom workflow has stopped working. The code for the custom workflow has not changed and the same code is being re-used on other list and workflow status is showing correctly on those lists.

Here are the status values as shown in the MSDN documentation:

NotStarted Workflow has not started.
      FailedOnStart Indicates that the workflow encountered an error when it started.
      InProgress Workflow is currently in progress.
      ErrorOccurred An error occurred during the execution of the workflow.
      StoppedByUser Workflow execution was halted by a specified user.
      Completed Workflow completed.
      FailedOnStartRetrying Indicates that the workflow is being retried after it failed to start.
      ErrorOccurredRetrying Indicates that the workflow is being retried after an initial failure.
      ViewQueryOverflow  

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.sharepoint.workflow.spworkflowstatus.aspx

value 8 is ViewQueryOverflow.

Am seeing value 8 on all the workflow columns and for all items now. How do I fix this? Would please appreciate some ideas.

-- Mohan

-- Mohan | My Blog
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, June 20, 2010 1:25 PM Do not try to attract attention to your posts by adding on completely unnecessary ... to the Titles. Removed. Please don't do this again.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:16 AM

Answers

• Update:

I was able to fix this issue because of Information I got from Microsoft @ Redmond.

This issue was caused by too many workflow status columns on the list. Our list had many workflows attached which were not being used however because of those, as many workflow status columns were also created. I deleted all but the 3 workflows which we use and wow -- the issue disappeared. All the 3 workflow columns are now showing correct values once again.

Want to really thank one of the senior management personnel in SharePoint practice at Microsoft who gave the information that if there are lot i.e. ideally >= 15 workflow status columns this issue may come.  I checked all the workflows which were not used and deleted the workflow columns.  It is not neccessary that every environment with excess workflow status columns in a library/list could get this - but if you do - this could be a reason and solution.

This is for both -  32 / 64 bit environment.

Hope this helps others who may come across this.

-- Mohan

-- Mohan | My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Mohan Taneja Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:03 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:01 AM

All replies

• Update:

I removed all the 3 workflows from the list and re-configured but that did not help. Still the same internal status = 8 for all workflows.

Could someone please advise to start with what does 8 i.e. "ViewQueryOverflow" i.e. status means?

and secondly how to fix that?

-- Mohan

-- Mohan | My Blog
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:29 AM
  • Can you step through with the debugger on the custom workflow to see where it's encountering the error?
    Monday, June 21, 2010 9:01 PM
  • It is not a error with the custom workflow. The same workflow code is running ok with other lists. The custom workflow checks for the Approval Workflow Status. That used be 2 (In Progress), 5 (Completed) etc. However now it gets a value of only  "8" hence the logic breaks. From the front end though the workflow columns display correct status i.e. In progress / Completed etc.

-- Mohan | My Blog

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Ah, is this moss 2007 or 2010?
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:55 PM
  • MOSS 2007 - August 2009 CU.
    -- Mohan | My Blog
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Sorry dude, never hit this myself and there's nothing on the net that I can find other than a guy in the uk that never posted an answer....I beleive you already tried removing and re-associating like on the third post?

http://suguk.org/forums/thread/20589.aspx?Ajax_CallBack=true&Ajax_CallBack=true&Ajax_CallBack=true

I take it that you've checked the uls logs?  Only other thing I can think of is to remove all three workflows again, add them back one at a time until it breaks.  something is overflowing, unfortunately there never seems to be a good explanation as to why....

I take it that other things work ok on this list...i.e. are there too many columns of a data type or something?  Could try saving as a template, restoring,...other work-around/nudges like that...

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:26 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue.  My workflow is associated with a document library in a custom provisioning class, and I have over 1000 instances of them.  Re-associating the workflow with the list is not a viable option for me.  Why can't we get an answer on what the ViewQueryOverflow status actually means? 

As mentioned, the workflow runs fine and even displays the correct status text in the column, but when I use SPSiteDataQuery to pull that columns value, they're all 8.

Friday, July 2, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Kenny,

If you are able to find a solution for that, please do write back.

I had opened a ticket with Microsoft support and have showed and explained the problem. Optimistic to find a fix. I will post it here when I know the solution.

-- Mohan | My Blog
    Friday, July 2, 2010 7:18 PM
  • In UI, the workflow status is pulled from the Status1 field in dbo.workflow. Check whats the value in Status1 field.
    Pride
    Monday, August 2, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Update:

I was able to fix this issue because of Information I got from Microsoft @ Redmond.

This issue was caused by too many workflow status columns on the list. Our list had many workflows attached which were not being used however because of those, as many workflow status columns were also created. I deleted all but the 3 workflows which we use and wow -- the issue disappeared. All the 3 workflow columns are now showing correct values once again.

Want to really thank one of the senior management personnel in SharePoint practice at Microsoft who gave the information that if there are lot i.e. ideally >= 15 workflow status columns this issue may come.  I checked all the workflows which were not used and deleted the workflow columns.  It is not neccessary that every environment with excess workflow status columns in a library/list could get this - but if you do - this could be a reason and solution.

This is for both -  32 / 64 bit environment.

Hope this helps others who may come across this.

-- Mohan

-- Mohan | My Blog
    • Marked as answer by Mohan Taneja Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:03 AM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:01 AM
  • If a workflow is configured to start a second workflow, with the attempt fail when the first workflow encounters the status '8' code in the second workflow?

I use a SPD workflow (WF1) to evaluate the status of another workflow (WF2) before actually starting WF2. So, if WF1 reads that the status of WF2 is '2' (in progress), WF1 will pause to allow WF2 to finish running, then it will start WF2. If WF1 attempts to start WF2 while WF2 is in one of several states (e.g., 1, 2, or 3), then WF2 will error out.

If WF1 attempts to trigger WF2, when WF2 is in state '8', will it be successful or error out?

Thank you!

Ellen

EAB
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:48 PM