none
VS 2017 The product failed to install RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I installed VS 2017 CE, in a fresh Windows 10 VM.

I just got a notification, where it says, there is updates available for VS 2017. After I installed updates, it shows me completed with errors, and long list of logs. Since this is installed on a fresh new Windows 10, there is no previous VS installed or any other components. I was not expecting this errors. What action should I take?  

Here is complete log:

The product failed to install the listed workloads and components due to one or more package failures.

Incomplete workloads
        .NET Core cross-platform development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetCoreTools,version=15.0.26323.1)
        ASP.NET and web development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetWeb,version=15.0.26323.1)

Incomplete components
        .NET Core 1.0 - 1.1 development tools (Microsoft.NetCore.ComponentGroup.Web,version=15.0.26208.0)
        .NET Core 1.0.1 development tools (Microsoft.Net.Core.Component.SDK,version=15.0.26208.0)
        Container development tools (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.DockerTools,version=15.0.26323.1)

You can search for solutions using the information below, modify your selections for the above workloads and components and retry the installation, or remove the product from your machine.

Following is a collection of individual package failures that led to the incomplete workloads and components above. To search for existing reports of these specific problems, please copy and paste the URL from each package failure into a web browser. If the issue has already been reported, you can find solutions or workarounds there. If the issue has not been reported, you can create a new issue where other people will be able to find solutions or workarounds.

Package 'Microsoft.Net.Core.SDK,version=15.0.26323.1,chip=x64' failed to install.
        Search URL: https://aka.ms/VSSetupErrorReports?q=PackageId=Microsoft.Net.Core.SDK;PackageAction=Install;ReturnCode=1638
        Impacted workloads
            .NET Core cross-platform development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetCoreTools,version=15.0.26323.1)
            ASP.NET and web development (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetWeb,version=15.0.26323.1)
        Impacted components
            .NET Core 1.0 - 1.1 development tools (Microsoft.NetCore.ComponentGroup.Web,version=15.0.26208.0)
            .NET Core 1.0.1 development tools (Microsoft.Net.Core.Component.SDK,version=15.0.26208.0)
            Container development tools (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.DockerTools,version=15.0.26323.1)
        Log
            C:\Users\dj_re\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_setup_20170409115413_255_Microsoft.Net.Core.SDK.log
        Details
            Command executed: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\Microsoft.Net.Core.SDK,version=15.0.26323.1,chip=x64\dotnet-dev-win-x64.1.0.2.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community" /log "C:\Users\dj_re\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_setup_20170409115413_255_Microsoft.Net.Core.SDK.log" /quiet /norestart
            Return code: 1638
            Return code details: Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

Sunday, April 9, 2017 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi reyou,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Please go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, right-click on the following and do a repair:

• Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86)
    • Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x64)

and then the VS installer could successfully complete update.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:12 AM
  • Hi reyou,

Sorry to trouble you and does your issue is solved or not? If not, please feel free to let us know.

Refer to the above error information, I found some other community members solved this issue by the workaround that Joyce provided, please have a look at this similar issue: Installation of VS 2017 RC is reported at the end as failed because could not install .NET Core SDK

If it not works, according to the following comment that the VS Product Team added on April 10, please try to download the latest VS 2017 version and use it to install or repair, check if this issue is fixed or not. 

**This issue has been fixed and is now available. You can download the latest version via the in-product notification or from here: https://www.visualstudio.com

If this issue persists, please add a comment into the above thread to report this feedback to the VS Product Team, so they can know this issue persists in the latest version, thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:45 AM