List Views disappear in the Current View Drop Down Ribbon Menu after editing with SharePoint Designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i've customized a list view with SharePoint Designer and since that the view is no longer available in the curent view drop down in the ribbon menu.

I can access the view, by navigating to the URL manually and the View works perfectly. Does someone know how i can add the view to the dropdown menu again. Also the view isn't listed in the overview page for a list in SharePoint Designer.

best regards,

Matthias

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 7:38 AM

Answers

• In SP 2010 a page is only considered a view if it has only the list web part. If you add another web part or otherwise customize with SPD then it is "just a page", not a view page, and you will need to add your own navigation to it (hyperlink, Quick Launch, etc).

My theory is that the Ribbon depends on knowing which list is in the page and knows this by checking to see if there is only one list web part on the page. If the correct web part type is not found, or there are multiple web parts then the page is no a view.

As a test... navigate to the page by URL. Is there a view dropdown in title area?  Most likely not as it is only displayed for pages that are views.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:37 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 5:50 PM
  • What I've found:

• The view page must only have one web part and it must be a XsltListViewWebPart
    • No edits can be made using SPD that involve clicking the "Advanced Mode" button

To fix:

• If the only change was to add a web part(s) then just remove them
    • If there have been other SPD edits then:
    • In SPD click All Files (in the Navigation panel)
      Expand Lists
      Expand your list
      If the page you changed has a blue circle next to it, right-click and select Reset to Site Definition
        or just delete the view page and create a new view with the same options

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:38 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:36 PM

All replies

• Hi bilberry79,

Could you please check to see if you have select the view available to use in Per-Location View Settings page by clicking Configure Views for This Location which is also an option under Current View?

As a quick workaround, could you please recreate a new list view page and copy all customizations to that new view page?

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 5, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Hi Emir,

the Per-Location View Settings aren't available, because the Metadata Navigation and Filtering Site Feature isn't activated for this site. Is it save to just activated it or may it be possible, that some of my lists get to change somehow?

best regards,

Matthias

Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:51 PM
  • In SP 2010 a page is only considered a view if it has only the list web part. If you add another web part or otherwise customize with SPD then it is "just a page", not a view page, and you will need to add your own navigation to it (hyperlink, Quick Launch, etc).

My theory is that the Ribbon depends on knowing which list is in the page and knows this by checking to see if there is only one list web part on the page. If the correct web part type is not found, or there are multiple web parts then the page is no a view.

As a test... navigate to the page by URL. Is there a view dropdown in title area?  Most likely not as it is only displayed for pages that are views.

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:37 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Hi Mike,

you are right. on that concerning pages are no List Web Parts. Just a DisplayFormWebPart. That might be the reason. There is also no ribbon for the view dropdown etc. available.

Can i somehow restore that pages to become proper views again? i've tried to just add a normal XSLTListView to the page so that it even has one proper List View Web Part on it. But the entry in the view dropdown doesn't show up again.

best regards,

Matthias

Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:16 PM
  • What I've found:

• The view page must only have one web part and it must be a XsltListViewWebPart
    • No edits can be made using SPD that involve clicking the "Advanced Mode" button

To fix:

• If the only change was to add a web part(s) then just remove them
    • If there have been other SPD edits then:
    • In SPD click All Files (in the Navigation panel)
      Expand Lists
      Expand your list
      If the page you changed has a blue circle next to it, right-click and select Reset to Site Definition
        or just delete the view page and create a new view with the same options

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:38 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 8:36 PM
  • My page with this issue was already matching the site definition.  After looking at sites that were not displaying this behavior, I found that the system masterpage was set to a different masterpage than the site masterpage.

After I changed the system masterpage to match the site masterpage, the view dropdown started working as expected.

This will only work on sites with publishing enabled.The site in question:
    A: Has a customized masterpages
    B: Was in-place upgrade from 2007

Thursday, July 3, 2014 3:24 PM