Issues with the Custom Filter in Datasheet View RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seeing some odd, yet intermittent, behavior while trying to filter columns in datasheet view using a custom filter. After clicking to apply a filter to a column and choosing 'Custom Filter...' a pop-up with regular expressions should appear much like the following screenshot:

However sometimes, usually on a page refresh, this pops up instead:

I have been able to replicate this sporadically in both IE 8 and 9 against different columns but it's really inconsistent. I can't seem to find any configuration issues or commonality across the clients that might be responsible. Local installations of Office are 32bit. I know 64bit has been known to cause some issues. I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue at all or perhaps it has been addressed in a more recent CU than what I am running (14.0.6117.5002). Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

• Edited by dlanders1 Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:56 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 10:21 PM

Answers

• Hello all

We get this as well on one computer in the office. It seems to be more of an MS Office issue than a Sharepoint issue specifically the "Microsoft Office List 14.0" ActiveX add in.

On one computer that has Office 2010, when "Edit in Datasheet" is clicked within a Sharepoint list the MS office list 14 ActiveX is called and the custom filter options appear with the missing combo boxes like in the picture at the top. I've found this is reproducible by simply doing:

1.  Visit a Sharepoint list

2. Actions > Edit in Datasheet

(If you click one of the drop downs at this point and choose Custom filter it will open as expected)

3. Actions > Show in standard view

4. Actions > Edit in Datasheet

5. Click one of the drop downs, choose Custom filter and the problem will occur

The only way to make the option reappear is to close down IE and reopen it. You'll then get one more go with point 1 and 2 above before the problem will reoccur again after changing the view using Actions.

Anyone using Office 2007 doesn't seem to have this problem however this uses a different version of the control namely "Microsoft Office List 12.0"

Uninstalling Office 2010 and reinstalling it seems to fix it for a bit but the problem will soon come back. Strangely it won't come back straight away but when it does its easy to reproduce following the above steps.

Testing this on another computer that just happens to have Office 2010 and Sharepoint Designer 2007 installed the problem does not occur however when the ActiveX is called for the Sharepoint list it just happens to invoke the Office List 12 version despite the fact both versions are available on the machine.

This probably happens because Sharepoint Designer was installed after Office 2010 was installed on the machine so has updated the registry to call the older version which seems to be problem free.

ActiveX files
    Microsoft Office List 12.0 = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\STSLIST.DLL
    Microsoft Office List 14.0 = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\STSLIST.DLL

Version 14.0.6015.1000 - came with Office 2010 with SP1

I've tried patching version 14.0 STSLIST.dll to:

14.0.6130.5000 (KB2589349)

14.0.6137.5000 (KB2760804) - 9th April 2013 and is the newest I could find at the time.

Edit as I'm typing this: Just found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817403 which is dated 11th June 2013 but doesn't mention any fix for this problem.

I've tried installing the Sharepoint services support components using the Sharepoint Designer installer package as below:

This includes the STSLIST.dll version 12.0 and updates the registry accordingly so that this component is referenced and does seem to fix the problem.

Unfortunately for me, when I checked back later the browser had reverted back to using the 14.0 component for reason I can't explain. Perhaps a Windows update came through and "adjusted" the registry settings to use the newer version. Unfortunately any attempt at deleting the 14.0 file simply recreates it when "Edit in Datasheet" is choosen.

It would be great to get a proper fix for this instead of having to try and force the computer to use the older component!

• Marked as answer by Pratik Vyas Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:43 PM
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:23 PM
  • We encountered this problem and after some researches we found out the problem was due to some Office problems. The resolution was to run an Office Repair.  
    • Marked as answer by Pratik Vyas Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:42 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:42 PM
  • ***SOLVED***

I just helped a user with this issue.  The solution is to repair Office 2010 as an admin and reboot.  The user was able to perform her work in DataSheet View even after several tries.

Hope this helps ... 

• Proposed as answer by Arnold Brunson Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.
    I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks ,
    Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 28, 2012 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post. I think you got both the screenshot pointing to same link in your post so I couldn't see the difference. IE browser renders the datasheet view with the help of the office client installed on the user's machine. Which office client version you have in the client? There is similar issue reported with office 2010 client and hotfix available for the same http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687341. This is NOT a SharePoint hotfix.

Thanks,
    Gireesh

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Hi Gireesh,

Thank you for looking into this and for pointing out my error with the screenshots. I've gone ahead and updated the link to the second capture to better illustrate the issue. Basically, it's not rendering the dropdown boxes for the expressions. The client version of Office is Pro Plus 2010 14.0.6029.1000 and the Excel version being used is 14.0.6129.5000 (32-bit). I too suspect it is an Office or IE issue because I am not able to replicate the issue locally on my workstation but I am seeing it on at least two others. I'm going to keep researching and looking into the various hotfixes/patches to see if I can find the inconsistency. Thanks in advance for any additional insight you might have.

-Dan

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Hi Dan,
    Greetings! Thanks for your update. We have confirmed that the behavior you have reported is reproducible at our end and requires in depth troubleshooting. This has been reported to the Product Group however if you wish to pursue this to get a faster turn-around, please open up a Premier Support Incident with Microsoft for continued troubleshooting on this issue. Alternatively, you could visit the below link to see the various support options that are available to better meet your needs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone; if you are a MSDN / TechNet subscriber, you can also contact our support by using your free support incidents.

Thanks,
    Gireesh

Monday, January 7, 2013 10:26 AM
  • Hi Gireesh,

We are also experiencing this. Can you share the information how to re-produce the issue?

Thanks,
    Ravi.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:51 PM
  • Hi Gireesh,

We're having the same issue. Is it your understanding the hotfix you reference should fix the custom filter issue in SharePoint? It doesn't for our users.

thanks Dave

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Hi Dave,

The hotfix did not address the issue for us either. Were you able to identify the behavior that triggers this issue in your environment? The user who initially reported it here was frequently refreshing the data by reloading the page in the browser. We found that when he used the built-in Sharepoint feature to 'Refresh Data' it significantly reduces the frequency of the bug. We have to maintain the 2007 look and feel for this list so it's under the 'Actions' menu but there is also a corresponding button in the 2010 ribbon under 'List Tools'. I'd be curious to know if this helps you at all...

-Dan

Friday, March 8, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Hello together,
    is there a fix available for this problem? It is really annoying.

Regards,
    Michael

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:56 AM
  • I have created a case for this issue. It occurs with Office 2010 and 2013. It was supposed to be fixed. They have asked me to fill out a business case....meaning they are aware of it but haven't prioritized it yet.

Softlanding.ca
    AutoSPInstallerGUI

Saturday, June 15, 2013 2:04 AM
  • Hi Ivan,

is it possible that you inform me, when you get some information from MS?

Regards,
    Michael

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:23 AM
  • Hello all

We get this as well on one computer in the office. It seems to be more of an MS Office issue than a Sharepoint issue specifically the "Microsoft Office List 14.0" ActiveX add in.

On one computer that has Office 2010, when "Edit in Datasheet" is clicked within a Sharepoint list the MS office list 14 ActiveX is called and the custom filter options appear with the missing combo boxes like in the picture at the top. I've found this is reproducible by simply doing:

1.  Visit a Sharepoint list

2. Actions > Edit in Datasheet

(If you click one of the drop downs at this point and choose Custom filter it will open as expected)

3. Actions > Show in standard view

4. Actions > Edit in Datasheet

5. Click one of the drop downs, choose Custom filter and the problem will occur

The only way to make the option reappear is to close down IE and reopen it. You'll then get one more go with point 1 and 2 above before the problem will reoccur again after changing the view using Actions.

Anyone using Office 2007 doesn't seem to have this problem however this uses a different version of the control namely "Microsoft Office List 12.0"

Uninstalling Office 2010 and reinstalling it seems to fix it for a bit but the problem will soon come back. Strangely it won't come back straight away but when it does its easy to reproduce following the above steps.

Testing this on another computer that just happens to have Office 2010 and Sharepoint Designer 2007 installed the problem does not occur however when the ActiveX is called for the Sharepoint list it just happens to invoke the Office List 12 version despite the fact both versions are available on the machine.

This probably happens because Sharepoint Designer was installed after Office 2010 was installed on the machine so has updated the registry to call the older version which seems to be problem free.

ActiveX files
    Microsoft Office List 12.0 = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\STSLIST.DLL
    Microsoft Office List 14.0 = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\STSLIST.DLL

Version 14.0.6015.1000 - came with Office 2010 with SP1

I've tried patching version 14.0 STSLIST.dll to:

14.0.6130.5000 (KB2589349)

14.0.6137.5000 (KB2760804) - 9th April 2013 and is the newest I could find at the time.

Edit as I'm typing this: Just found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2817403 which is dated 11th June 2013 but doesn't mention any fix for this problem.

I've tried installing the Sharepoint services support components using the Sharepoint Designer installer package as below:

This includes the STSLIST.dll version 12.0 and updates the registry accordingly so that this component is referenced and does seem to fix the problem.

Unfortunately for me, when I checked back later the browser had reverted back to using the 14.0 component for reason I can't explain. Perhaps a Windows update came through and "adjusted" the registry settings to use the newer version. Unfortunately any attempt at deleting the 14.0 file simply recreates it when "Edit in Datasheet" is choosen.

It would be great to get a proper fix for this instead of having to try and force the computer to use the older component!

• Marked as answer by Pratik Vyas Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:43 PM
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:23 PM
  • My team also encounters this problem frequently. I believe one way to cause the issue is to load the same SharePoint list datasheet view twice (for example in two IE tabs). 
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:57 PM
  • We encountered this problem and after some researches we found out the problem was due to some Office problems. The resolution was to run an Office Repair.  
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:42 PM
  • ***SOLVED***

I just helped a user with this issue.  The solution is to repair Office 2010 as an admin and reboot.  The user was able to perform her work in DataSheet View even after several tries.

Hope this helps ... 

• Proposed as answer by Arnold Brunson Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:18 PM