none
How do I build a Universal Windows apps using the Enterprise WDK, or environment with no Visual Studio installed?

Question

• I'm trying to compile a simple blank UWP application in an environment that only has EWDK installed (no Visual Studio).  According to the EWDK documentation, it should contain all of the binaries necessary to build projects and solutions.  It works for desktop applications, but I'm not able to get it to compile a standard Universal Windows application.

Errors that I'm seeing in my Administrator Command Prompt window:

Steps to reproduce:

1) Download Enterprise WDK and install the zip onto the local drive.

2) Open Administrator Command Prompt window, type: <path-to-EDK>\LaunchBuildEnv.cmd

3) Create a blank Universal windows app in Visual Studio 2015 (on another machine) and copy it to the local drive.  I happen to be running Enterprise Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, with Windows Driver Kit 10.0.14393.0 and Windows SDK 10.0.15063.137 manually installed.  The EWDK version I'm using is EnterpriseWDK_rs2_release_15063_20170317-1834.zip.

4) Type: msbuild BlankSampleUwpApp.sln /p:Configuration="Release" /p:Platform="x64"

Any help would be appreciated.  If the EWDK is not recommended for compiling UWP applications, please point me to a package that does.  I'm trying to get this to work in a lab environment that does not have Visual Studio 2015 installed.

Regards,

Tam Bui

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:49 PM

Answers

• Through a separate support channel, I have discovered from MSFT that the EWDK does not currently support the build of Universal Apps, and that there is currently no ETA on supporting this.  So the workaround that Leo Liu suggested is the only solution for now: Install Visual Studio onto the build server and do not use the EWDK.

Regards,

Tam

• Marked as answer by Tam Bui Friday, April 21, 2017 7:14 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Tam Bui,

Here is the forum for Developing Universal Windows apps, and we are focusing on developing universal windows apps issue. I will move this thread to corresponding forum for a professional answer. 

Besides, please make sure the imported path in your error info is correct. And if possible, could you share your BlankSampleUwpApp.csproj file?

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:41 AM
  • Hi Tam Bui,

As far as Iknow the missing target files are installed together with the Visual Studio instead of the MSBuild Tools.

I created a blank win10 environment(test machine) and installed both MSBuild tools also the Windows 10 SDK, I encountered the issue you have, the Microsoft.Windows.UI.Xaml.CSharp.targets cannot be found.

Then I checked my original machine(have Visual Studio 2015 installed), the folder that contains the correct target files(C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\WindowsXaml\v14.0) is created at the same date as Visual Studio installed.

So Visual Studio installed something that we did not install. I have tried to copy the MSBuild folder from my original machine to the test machine however it did not work.

Obviously, The easiest way to build your visual studio solutions is to install Visual Studio on the build server. If you want make it work without Visual Studio, it sometimes a lot of work to figure out. You'll need to install the right Windows / .NET Platform SDK. You can install multiple of these SDKs side by side. You might need to install further SDKs to get your application to compile. The downloads for these all assume that you also have Visual Studio installed, but many of their payloads can also be installed separately. It can become quite a hassle.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I agree with the "easiest way" that you outline as resolving the problem, but the environment that I work in is one where multiple virtual machines (VM's) are created for multiple projects for separate needs, and administered for scalibility at large companies. The installation of Visual Studio on all of the VM's is not feasible.  I believe that this was what the EWDK was created for, to alleviate having to install things like Visual Studio onto every VM.  For now, I will do as requested which is to install Visual Studio on the build server that I am using, but it would be nice if the EWDK included all of the binaries to support UWP applications in the future.

Regards,

Tam Bui

Friday, April 21, 2017 6:50 PM
  • Hi Breeze,

I didn't share the BlankSampleUwpApp project because I didn't think it was necessary.  All I did was:

• Open a new Project
    • Select "Universal" "Blank App" and called my project BlankSampleUwpApp

That's it.  I didn't add anything else.

Tam

Friday, April 21, 2017 6:52 PM
  • Through a separate support channel, I have discovered from MSFT that the EWDK does not currently support the build of Universal Apps, and that there is currently no ETA on supporting this.  So the workaround that Leo Liu suggested is the only solution for now: Install Visual Studio onto the build server and do not use the EWDK.

Regards,

Tam

• Marked as answer by Tam Bui Friday, April 21, 2017 7:14 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 7:13 PM