none
Remote Blob Storage and Upgrading SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have large SharePoint 2010 Farm with a few content databases over 500GB.     We are going to be upgrading to SharePoint 2019 on-Prem soon and we plan on following the SP2010->SP2013->SP2016->SP2019 upgrade method.     

My question is - Does having RBS (Metalogix/Quest StoragePoint) in place with these much smaller content databases help us in any way during the upgrades?  Or do we have to recall all blobs first back to the content databases in order to proceed with the upgrades.

Thank you,

JMS

• Edited by JMSFlorida Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:48 PM spelling
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think if you are using any 3rd party tools for migration there won't be a problem while migrating, but if you use via database migration then i think you have to recall all blobs first back to the content databases then proceed with the upgrades.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

Upgrade operations will be similar in duration with or without RBS, so it won’t help to decrease time for upgrade.

I suggest you recall all blobs back to the content databases and finish the upgrade process. After that, reconfigure RBS with SharePoint Server 2019. Check if any data can be discarded before migration.

Here’s your reference.

Deciding to use RBS in SharePoint Server.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/rbs-planning#implications-of-using-rbs-over-the-it-life-cycle

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

I'm checking how it is going on with this issue.

Please remember to update this thread if you have any progress.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:55 AM