none
Using SPD Workflow to set Approval Workflow Task Outcome RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a workflow that will change the "Task Outcome" value of a task. The task list is associated with an Approval Workflow and was created when the specific instance of the approval workflow was configured. I can change other columns (such as "% complete" and "status") no problem but the "Task Outcome" refuses to change. I am wondering if it has to do with the fact that the Type is "Outcome Choice" rather than "Choice". Has anyone done this?

Thanks

CD

Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, there is no OOB way to achieve this in SPD workflow.

You need to write code e.g. create a custom action in SPD workflow.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi CD,

The Task Outcome displays the value of button users selected in task form. It’s not supported to change the Task Outcome value.

Why do you want to change the Task Outcome value? Do you want to add some choices or edit choice values in task form, shown as figure below?

If yes, you can create a new custom Task Outcome field with the choices you want and create a custom content type based on Workflow Task (SharePoint 2013) Content Type. Then add the custom Task Outcome field in the custom content type. After that, you can set Outcome Options to select the custom content type and column you created in designer approval workflow.

More detailed steps for your reference:

http://sivarajan.me/post/SharePoint-2013-Designer-Workflow-Creating-a-Custom-Task-Outcome-Part-3

If you don’t want this, please provide more details about your requirement.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 15, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Hi Dean,

Thanks for the reply.  What I am trying to do is to allow approval by email.  I have modified the task notification email to include custom mailto links with the task ID which sends email back to a form library in Sharepoint.  I am now trying to construct a workflow to parse the emails and set the associated task as approved or rejected.

Cheers

Chris.

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Hi Chris,

You need to create a custom solution. You can send an HTML-formatted email with two links(<a></a>) for the Accept and Reject button. And create an HttpHandler to handler the http request send from the link.

A workflow product called Nintex Workflow has such a function: lazy approval. However it’s paid solution.

While Microsoft supports and encourages open-source software development, it does not provide technical support for the software from third parties, nor does it guarantee that the software will work as described.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:41 AM
  • Hi.  That sounds like it needs code which I don't have the facility for.  Is there no way to set the outcome of a task using a workflow?
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

If you don’t want to write code, you can use third party tool, e.g. Nintex Workflow (lazy approval function) I provided above.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 9:21 AM
  • Hi Dean,

So to be clear, what you are saying is that it is impossible to set the outcome of a task from a SPD workflow?

Thanks,

Chris.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, there is no OOB way to achieve this in SPD workflow.

You need to write code e.g. create a custom action in SPD workflow.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:59 AM
  • OK.  Thanks.  Seems like a bit of an oversight though.
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 10:11 AM