none
Timer Event 6398 - SPDatabaseServerDiagnosticsPerformanceCounter

Question

• On one of my web servers, every 5 minutes, I get this error:

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Diagnostics.SPDatabaseServerDiagnosticsPerformanceCounterProvider (ID 3c2b879e-5033-42a5-9a46-0fd99a81307b) threw an exception. More information is included below.

SQL215 is the name of our old Sharepoint database server.  The server name has changed to a cluster, and we use a SQL alias to point to the correct location.  Obviously, this Performance Counter is still trying to connect to the old server.

How do I update this Timer Job to look to the right server, and what do I point it to on a SQL cluster?

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:57 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem, I followed the KB Article but it didn't help in solving the issue, after thinking for a long time, I found the solution

Because I was using ALIAS to connect to the SQL Server, this job "Diagnostic Data Provider: Performance Counters - Database Servers" was always failing, and I kept getting the same error message you posted above in Windows Events every mintue . I thought that this job was trying to connect to the sql server using this alias, not SQL Connection but normal network connection which will not work, try to ping your alias it won't work, because it is an alias for SQL Connection only.

The Solution

I added my alias to the host file in the sharepoint server pointing to the IP of the SQL. and viola this error gone and this job always succeeded.

How I Bought a Brand New $1.2 Million Home Using ONLY Affiliate Commissions
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you try it again with the following KB?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981243

Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Thanks.  I already looked at that.  There is nothing in there about re-configuring the rules so that it will STOP trying to connect to a SQL server that no longer exists (named SQL215), and START trying to connect to the SQL server that is actually hosting the databases (named SQL135).
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:59 PM
  • I had the same problem, I followed the KB Article but it didn't help in solving the issue, after thinking for a long time, I found the solution

Because I was using ALIAS to connect to the SQL Server, this job "Diagnostic Data Provider: Performance Counters - Database Servers" was always failing, and I kept getting the same error message you posted above in Windows Events every mintue . I thought that this job was trying to connect to the sql server using this alias, not SQL Connection but normal network connection which will not work, try to ping your alias it won't work, because it is an alias for SQL Connection only.

The Solution

I added my alias to the host file in the sharepoint server pointing to the IP of the SQL. and viola this error gone and this job always succeeded.

How I Bought a Brand New $1.2 Million Home Using ONLY Affiliate Commissions
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Thanks Mohammed, that appears to have solved my same issue, which oddly enough, only started today after an electrical outage rebooted the servers, months and months after installing SP2010 with an SQL Alias. I then found this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981230 about exact issue after seeing this post.

I wonder why issue started now -- I can't imagine what changed in SP2010 just on a reboot. And I did first try restarting timer service and when that failed to correct issue, rebooting both servers. I also checked KB 981243 referenced above but all good there.

jremmc

Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:08 AM
  • I just realized I had recently installed SPDiag v3 from the SP2010 Administration Toolkit on the SP server (I made the SP server the client (Enable-PSRemoting) and the SQL server the server after I couldn't get SPDiag to work on Windows 7.)

That's the only difference. The electrical outage was first time the SP and SQL servers rebooted since SPDiag install. But I don't get the connection if the tool simply collects existing data. I don't know enough -- did the tool enable the class, meaning it wasn't already enabled? (I'm an IT admin not a developer)

jremmc

Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:21 AM
  • as jremmc said, this error started to appear after I installed SPDiag v3, I think SPDiag created these jobs to analyze all the servers in the farm, I am not sure if this job was running before I install SPDiag, but the issue is obviuos because we cannot connect to the SQL Server Machine using the Alias as network connection, the host file trick was solution for me.
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Update:

After getting rid of the error on the SP server, I noticed the same error on the SQL server (where SP is also installed for SSRS purposes). I did same thing (hosts file) and that error stopped but I started getting this error described here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/b8d83cc6-56b7-4862-9fc8-5408574d2e4d -- specifically:

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Diagnostics.SPDatabaseServerDiagnosticsPerformanceCounterProvider (ID bcf5967b-f0b1-4f9d-a63c-8fc78f438c2b) threw an exception. More information is included below.

qlsp:Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.;
              Please ensure that the database server is available and that the SharePoint Timer service account is a member of the Performance Monitor Users group on the database server.

(fyi, qlsp is the SQL Alias)

As I noted to that thread, the Timer Service account is the farm account, and the farm account is in the Performance Monitor Users  and Performance Logs Users group on the SQL (as well as the SP) server. Also, this error did not occur on the SP server. Rebooting both servers did not fix. I ended up disabling SP Diag tool timer jobs in Central Admin. Too much trouble.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:34 PM
  • How does one just uninstall this POS?  Why MS gives us tools that breaks things I will never understand.
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:32 PM
  • I think I got some more info -- same correlation ID in ULS Log immediately before:

No registry rights when opening performance registry key on <SQL Alias here>. Error is Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.

Which registry key is permissions needed on ? Does anyone know?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:05 AM
  • Run Process Monitor when the timer job runs.  Should be a quick indication of what you need to provide access to, and what level of access.
    http://sharepoint.nauplius.net
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:27 AM
  • Ok, running Process Monitor. I'm not getting any registry access failures. The only thing I'm getting related to owstimer.exe and performance counters is the Disable Performance Counters key not found: (as I don't have any counters disabled should that key even exist there?)

Date & Time: 6/20/2011 11:35:56 PM
    Event Class: Registry
    Operation: RegQueryValue
    Result: NAME NOT FOUND
    Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PERFLIB\Disable Performance Counters
    TID: 8664
    Duration: 0.0000018
    Length: 20

The Perflib key itself shows success:

Date & Time: 6/20/2011 11:46:00 PM
    Operation: RegOpenKey
    Result: SUCCESS
    Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib
    TID: 1412
    Duration: 0.0000081
    Desired Access: Read

I am getting "NAME NOT FOUND" on other keys for owstimer.exe

Date & Time: 6/20/2011 11:35:53 PM
    Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14.0\WSS\Alerts
    TID: 520
    Duration: 0.0000072

Date & Time: 6/20/2011 11:35:53 PM
    Path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\HeapSettings
    TID: 520
    Duration: 0.0000096

Also, I checked the Perflib key and subkeys -- the Performance Monnitor Users and Performance Log Users groups have Read permissions to the keys, and Administrators have Full Control. Also, At the moment, the farm account, under which the SP Timer service is running, is a local admin on both SP and SQL servers, so it has Full Control regardless.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:17 AM
  • Same problem here, thanks for your host file change suggestion ! They should mention this in the "SQL Alias best practice documentation".. 
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:16 AM
  • How you added SQL Server alias in Server host file?? 
    Monday, March 24, 2014 4:43 PM