none
Document Library: Best Practice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am new to SharePoint and I was wondering if there are any best practices to think about when designed the use of document libraries.  I have been told that with our current server settings, each document library will be able to contain 2,000 docs.

Based on this I will have to create a doc lib once the old one gets full.  If I keep creating new, users will not know with doc lib has the document they want.

Can you see where I am going with this?  Any advice would be appreciated !

Hopefully, some SharePoint experts out there can help me !!

Thakn Alot 
    SharePoint Novice
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:36 PM

Answers

• There is already a thread on this. Check this thread.

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/2a25cfc2-a833-462d-a1c2-377261a04a04

The 2000 document limit is per folder.

Documents  per Folder : 2,000 

The interfaces for enumerating documents in a folder do not perform well beyond a thousand entries.

Documents per Library :  2 million 

You can create very large document libraries by nesting folders.

Reference : http://markharrison.co.uk/blog/2004/09/sharepoint-scaling-limits.htm

Amit
    • Edited by Amit V Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:48 PM spelling mistake
    • Marked as answer by Xing-Bing Yu - MSFT Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:12 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Do you need to use folders?  You may be better foregoing the folder route and storing absolutely everything in the 1 library using conent types.
    You can then make use of views and filters to display the contents of the library in an acceptable manner.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Well its ok to create folder for single level and try avoiding 2-3 level deep folder structure. This is just what I think.

The reason I dont do nested folder is

1) Problem with URL Length. You cannot have your URL length exceed more than 255 characters. I have seen this issue where you want to link to a document or a folder but you can because of URL problem.

2) If you have a document library web part on the site and if you have nested folder there is no way you can go back once you clicked on the folder. You have to go to the top level by clicking either the site or by clicking the back button on browser. (Though you can always avoid this issue by going to the document library dedicated page and access document from there)

Amit
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:15 PM

All replies

• There is already a thread on this. Check this thread.

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/sharepointgeneral/thread/2a25cfc2-a833-462d-a1c2-377261a04a04

The 2000 document limit is per folder.

Documents  per Folder : 2,000 

The interfaces for enumerating documents in a folder do not perform well beyond a thousand entries.

Documents per Library :  2 million 

You can create very large document libraries by nesting folders.

Reference : http://markharrison.co.uk/blog/2004/09/sharepoint-scaling-limits.htm

Amit
    • Edited by Amit V Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:48 PM spelling mistake
    • Marked as answer by Xing-Bing Yu - MSFT Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:12 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:47 PM
  • Do you need to use folders?  You may be better foregoing the folder route and storing absolutely everything in the 1 library using conent types.
    You can then make use of views and filters to display the contents of the library in an acceptable manner.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Both replies are really helpful - Thank You

A common question I get from my users is why is it not reccommended to use yellow folders in SharePoint.  Is there a particular reason why it not reccommended?

Thanks Alot

SharePoint Novice
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Well its ok to create folder for single level and try avoiding 2-3 level deep folder structure. This is just what I think.

The reason I dont do nested folder is

1) Problem with URL Length. You cannot have your URL length exceed more than 255 characters. I have seen this issue where you want to link to a document or a folder but you can because of URL problem.

2) If you have a document library web part on the site and if you have nested folder there is no way you can go back once you clicked on the folder. You have to go to the top level by clicking either the site or by clicking the back button on browser. (Though you can always avoid this issue by going to the document library dedicated page and access document from there)

Amit
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:15 PM
  • Much of the "limitation" on the library comes from the rendering of that much data.  Some implementations hold millions of records in a library with no folders but no one ever tries to render more than a few dozen at a time.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:54 PM