none
Silverlight Reduce XAP size option causes failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a silverlight control hosted in a custom silverlight web part in SharePoint 2010. It works well.

I tried checking the "Reduce XAP size by using application library caching" in my silverlight project properties and rebuilding and redeploying. When I do that the silverlight control does not appear.

Running in the VS debugger does not trap any error and the breakpoints do not set in silverlight (no symbols have been loaded for this document), even after a full rebuild. (This normally works with the option 'Reduce XAP size ..' unchecked)

Where can I find the error? My silverlight unhandled exception handler is not being invoked and I suspect that the silverlight control is not even loading correctly.

macrel

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From my understanding, you have built and deployed a Silverlight Web Part successfully, however, when you check the option "Reduce XAP size by using application library caching" and rebuild your project, a Silverlight control in this web part disappears.

So please check the steps of using application library caching with Silverlight web part.

Here are two links on how to use the application Library Caching with your application:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd833069(v=vs.95).aspx

http://mobile.dzone.com/news/how-prepare-your-class-library-0

best regards

Friday, August 2, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Hi Patrick,

I followed the instructions at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd833069(v=vs.95).aspx steps 1-4 of 'To enable application library caching'. I did not perform the additional steps in 'To configure an assembly for use with application library caching' since I believe this is already done for my Telerik dlls.

, but I get the result as I explained above. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I see the new *.zip files in the bin folder of the silverlight app and I see the xap file has been reduced in size but the web part does not appear in SharePoint.

I even tried copying the *.extmap.xml files from the telerik install location to the bin directory of my silverlight project and of my SharePoint project. This made no difference.

macrel

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:49 PM
  • OK, after some tries I found the solution.

There are new zip files created when you rebuild your silverlight project with the "Reduce XAP size by using application library caching" option checked in your silverlight project properties . These zip files are placed into the silverlight project's bin/debug folder as a part of the build.

DO NOT       - deploy the zip files into the 14 hive e.g. 14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES where your XAP file resides.

RATHER DO  - upload the zip files into SharePoint to the same location you have uploaded your XAP file.

macrel

Friday, August 16, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hi Marcel,

Thanks for your sharing.

Best regards

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:48 AM