none
Sharepoint 2013 - Workflow failed on start retrying

Question

• Hi,

I have a customized (pretty much just customized the form and so on in SPD, the rest is standard functions) OOB approval workflow in my SharePoint 2013 installation, the solution worked for a while but now after i came back from my holiday it keeps failing on start "failed on start (retrying)" - And i cant figure out what the problem is, i searched the web like a mad man, but still cant find a solution that works for me.

As i said, it used to work, and as far as my colleges tell me, nothing has changed.I tried creating a standard workflow, to test if the problem is with the server, but the newly created workflow worked fine... so the problem must be with the workflow it self.

Any help, with how i could troubleshoot or anything would be very much appreciated!

/Mick Negendahl

Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Mick,

I understand that the error still occurs with the workflow.

Have you tried to create a same workflow associated with the same list?

If not, I recommend to create a same workflow to see if the error still occurs.

If the error still occurs, I recommend to check the workflow history list if there are too many history logs.

If yes, you can delete them and restart the workflow.

Best regards.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Mick,
    According to your post, the approval workflow cannot be start after a period of time.

The workflow engine will report back 'a workflow failed to start' even if the workflow did start.
    The workflow will be sent the 'OnWorkflowActivated' event (start command) and essentially as far as SharePoint is concerned it's starting.
    When the workflow for e.g. writes a task item and then waits (handleExternal Event) for the OnTaskChanged event. At this point if it failed,  a different error other than 'failed to start' would be reported.

I recommend to reset the Windows Workflow Foundation by running this command: Lodctr /R c:WindowsMicrosoft.NetFrameworkv3.0Windows Workflow Foundationperfcounters.ini?
    If it doesn't work for you, I recommend to use this command: Lodctr "c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Workflow Foundation\perfcounters.ini".

Best regards.
    Thanks

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:25 AM
  • Hi Victoria,

Thank you for your reply, i have now tried to run both commands but without result.

The command runs successfully, but the problem with my workflow remains the same.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

/Mick Negendahl

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Hi Mick,

I understand that the error still occurs with the workflow.

Have you tried to create a same workflow associated with the same list?

If not, I recommend to create a same workflow to see if the error still occurs.

If the error still occurs, I recommend to check the workflow history list if there are too many history logs.

If yes, you can delete them and restart the workflow.

Best regards.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:38 PM