none
Updates to VS 2017 RC Community fails RRS feed

• Question

• I am following The Update Wizard after getting into the Update Screen I get this:

Any idea?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:46 PM

All replies

• I am running the Community version. I have a notification for updates. When I select one I get to the screen that says "Please update Visual Studio Installer." After selecting Update it says Downloading Visual Studio Installer and that never completes. Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:24 AM
  • Hi markgoldin,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

To find the detail error message of this failed installation, I need your help to collect the installation logs. You can use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder then upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here

Refer to the error message “Setup operation failed”, I found some community members meet the same issue but with different detail error message, please have a look at the following:

"Setup operation failed" when upgrading VS 2017 RC to version 26009

Can Celik: Running the original 2017 RC installation solved the problem. After I ran the installation package, it told me that there is update and asked me if I'd like to install it. I said OK and then it installed the RC December update fine.

Setup operation failed while installing VS 2015 RC

Samir Behara: Uninstalling and Installing VS 2017 RC worked for me. I did not encounter this problem in my 2nd attempt.

The latest version of VS 2017 RC is 15.0.26014.0, you can also try to directly download the latest installer of VS community 2017 RC and use it to install.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:17 AM
  • the latest installer of VS community 2017 RC will will say that Installer needs to be updated and after saying Update the download takes FOREVER.

<

To find the detail error message of this failed installation, I need your help to collect the installation logs. You can use http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip under %temp% folder then upload the file to https://onedrive.live.com/and share the link here

>did not create vslogs.zip anywhere on my system.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:39 PM
  • Hi markgoldin,

Thank you for your update.

It looks like you met issue during the VS installation log collect, could you please have a look at the failed VS installation windows, there is any hyperlink or icon to check the log file? Or please open File Explorer and type %temp% into the path file to redirect to the temp folder, then order by ‘Data modified’ Desc and there should has some VS installation log files which name is similar like ‘dd_xxx_xx…’, then share the latest one, it will help us to find the detail error information to research this issue.

Have you tried to uninstall the VS 2017 RC and reinstall it, you can try to remove the existing VS 2017 RC as below:

1. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, right click the ‘Microsoft Visual Studio 2017’ and choose ‘Uninstall’

2. Try to delete the following installed folders: (you can back up those folders before any modification, in case we need to roll back)

• Go to the folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio and delete the Packages folder
    • Go to the Visual Studio installation folder (normally under %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio) and delete the folder 2017

After that, make sure windows update is up-to-date, clean up the %temp% folder and temporarily disable any antivirus software, reboot the computer and re-run the VS 2017 RC installer as administrator again.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Here is the latest log:

2016-12-22T08:04:20 : Verbose : Visual Studio Installer (1.0.21110.1 : release) ["C:\\program files (x86)\\microsoft visual studio\\installer\\vs_installershell.exe","update","--installPath","C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2017\\Community","--activityId","f3217826-e50f-44b5-a648-a2f43bf3e297"]
    2016-12-22T08:04:21 : Verbose : Telemetry Session ID: 4ebcd016-ee2a-4d22-86f4-87afb6b9db1a
    2016-12-22T08:04:21 : Verbose : Getting installed product summaries. [installerId: SetupEngine]
    2016-12-22T08:04:21 : Verbose : Starting the installed products provider service.
    2016-12-22T08:04:21 : Verbose : Starting the products provider service.
    2016-12-22T08:04:21 : Verbose : Getting product summaries. [installerId: SetupEngine]
    2016-12-22T08:04:21 : Verbose : Getting channel info. [installerId: SetupEngine]
    2016-12-22T08:04:24 : Verbose : Started the products provider service.
    2016-12-22T08:04:24 : Verbose : Started the installed products provider service.
    2016-12-22T08:04:27 : Verbose : Starting the installer service.
    2016-12-22T08:04:27 : Verbose : Calling SetupEngine.Installer.Initialize. [locale: en-US]
    2016-12-22T08:04:27 : Verbose : SetupEngine.Installer.Initialize succeeded. [locale: en-US]
    2016-12-22T08:04:27 : Verbose : Started the installer service.
    2016-12-22T08:04:27 : Verbose : Calling SetupEngine.Installer.EvaluateModifyParameters. [installationPath: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community', language: 'en-us' selectedPackageReferences.length: 0]
    2016-12-22T08:04:32 : Verbose : SetupEngine.Installer.EvaluateModifyParameters succeeded. [installationPath: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community', language: 'en-us' selectedPackageReferences.length: 0]
    2016-12-22T08:04:43 : Verbose : Calling SetupEngine.Installer.EvaluateModifyParameters. [installationPath: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community', language: 'en-us' selectedPackageReferences.length: 0]
    2016-12-22T08:04:44 : Verbose : SetupEngine.Installer.EvaluateModifyParameters succeeded. [installationPath: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community', language: 'en-us' selectedPackageReferences.length: 0]
    2016-12-22T08:04:44 : Verbose : Getting installed product. [installerId: SetupEngine, installationPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community]
    2016-12-22T08:04:44 : Verbose : Calling SetupEngine.Installer.UpdateProduct. [installationPath: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community']
    2016-12-22T08:04:49 : Verbose : SetupEngine.Installer.UpdateProduct reported error.  [UpdateRequiredException: https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/9/2/9924EBFA-DC1E-404F-A261-F5781EC6CD83/vs_Setup.exe at    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.CheckForEngineUpdate(Version manifestEngineVersion)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.Load(String path, Boolean skipVerify)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.Load(Uri manifestUri, Uri channelUri, Uri installChannelUri, CancellationToken token, Boolean skipVerify)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.Load(ChannelNode`1 channelProduct, CancellationToken token, Boolean skipVerify)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Service.CreateEngine(ChannelNode`1 channelProduct, String instanceId, TelemetryContext telemetryContext, String localeOverride, IMessageBus messageBus, IRestartManager restartManager)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.InstallerService.UpdateProductImpl(Guid operationGuid, String installationPath, String setupExecutablePath, String setupExecutableArguments, TelemetryContext telemetryContext, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.InstallerService.UpdateProduct(String installationPath, String setupExecutablePath, String setupExecutableArguments, TelemetryContext telemetryContext, CancellationToken cancellationToken)]
    2016-12-22T08:04:49 : Verbose : Getting installed product summaries. [installerId: SetupEngine]
    2016-12-22T08:04:49 : Verbose : Getting product summaries. [installerId: SetupEngine]
    2016-12-22T08:05:10 : Error : Failed to download the package update. [updatePackageUrl: https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/9/2/9924EBFA-DC1E-404F-A261-F5781EC6CD83/vs_Setup.exe, error: connect ETIMEDOUT 23.44.171.101:443 at Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 23.44.171.101:443
        at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:1008:11)
        at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1031:20)
        at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1080:14)]
    2016-12-22T08:05:10 : Error : Failed to update the version details. [error: connect ETIMEDOUT 23.44.171.101:443 at Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 23.44.171.101:443
        at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:1008:11)
        at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1031:20)
        at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1080:14)]
    2016-12-22T08:05:38 : Verbose : Closing installer. Return code: 0.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:07 PM
  • Hi markgoldin,

From the log file, we can find the error message as below:

Error : Failed to download the package update. [updatePackageUrl: https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/9/2/9924EBFA-DC1E-404F-A261-F5781EC6CD83/vs_Setup.exe, error: connect ETIMEDOUT 23.44.171.101:443 at Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 23.44.171.101:443

The detail error message is timeout and it looks like it cannot download the required update package that caused the update progress it failed. You can try to directly access the update package link https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/9/2/9924EBFA-DC1E-404F-A261-F5781EC6CD83/vs_Setup.exe and see if you can download it or not? I tried to download it and the download completed successfully.

If you cannot download it, you need to use the offline installer to update the VS 2017 RC. Please have a look at this: Create an offline installation of Visual Studio 2017 RC and use the command: <the VS installer file> --layout <path> to download the offline installation on another computer which can download the VS packages, and you can download the latest VS 2017 RC version and use it to download the offline installer that can be used on your computer.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 23, 2016 6:13 AM
  • I downloaded vs_Setup.exe. After starting it I got this window:

clicking on Continue is not doing anything. The window disappears and that's it.

Friday, December 23, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Hi markgoldin,

Please rerun the latest VS 2017 RC installer as administrator and if this issue still persists, you can try to completely remove the VS 2017 like I described in my previous reply, then reinstall it.

If the installation failed, please collect the VS installation logs using the tool and share the vslogs.zip.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 26, 2016 9:01 AM
  • same crap when it's run as Administrator. Is it possible to get a product manager on this thread? I have already told you that the tool did not create a zip file. Is there anything that works???????????????????
    Monday, December 26, 2016 8:59 PM
  • Even after uninstalling the installation silently dies.
    Monday, December 26, 2016 9:17 PM
  • Hi markgoldin,

I'm so sorry for my unclear description, it seems you met issue when you try to collect the installation logs. I also tried to download the collect tool:http://aka.ms/vscollect and run it, it popups the command prompt and auto run the collect command, after complete, the cmd windows disappear.

After that, I open the File Explorer, type '%temp%' into the path field, it will redirect to the temp folder, then order by 'Data Modified', there is the file 'vslogs.zip' like the following:

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 5:23 AM
  • I decided to uninstall it which I cannot accept as a solution at all. After reinstalling I got a popup saying Operation failed and here is the log:

[4a20:0003][2016-12-26T16:24:23] Package 'AndroidBuildSupport,version=1.0.13' failed to install. Command executed: "c:\windows\syswow64\\windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell.exe" -NoLogo -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -InputFormat None -Command "& """C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\AndroidBuildSupport,version=1.0.13\AndroidSDKInstall.ps1""" -RequestedAndroidPackages platform-tools, extra-android-m2repository -Operation Install -RegKey AndroidBuildSupport; exit $LastExitCode", Return code: 53, Details: The network path was not found.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Hi markgoldin,

Thank you for your update and refer to the error message "Package 'AndroidBuildSupport,version=1.0.13' failed to install", I found there is a existing problem that reported by other community members, please have a look at this: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/7175/android-sdk-installation-problem-vs-2017-community.html and you can vote it, it is under the investigation of the VS product team engineers, we need to waiting for the response from them, sorry for this inconvenience.

If you have any other issue about VS IDE, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 6:27 AM
  • Vote for what? That an RC candidate is not supposed to have installation errors?
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:29 PM
  • Hi markgoldin,

Refer your latest error message, I found some other community members also meet this same issue and reported to the VS product team, please have a look at Android SDK installation problem (VS 2017 Community RC). The VS product team will try to confirm this issue and provide the result or workaround later, thank you for your understanding.

>>Vote for what?

Since you meet the same issue like the above link, you can vote it, it lets the VS product team know lots of community members meet the same issue and they need put a higher priority to investigate this issue. Meanwhile, we are welcome to the feedback for this new VS product, your feedback always plays an important role in the successful release of Visual Studio.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 29, 2016 3:02 AM