none
Cannot Register Visual Studio Controller with Agent RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to run some distributed load tests using in premises hardware. I have 3 VM's, one is setup as the controller and the other 2 as agents. I have configured the controller successfully and i can see the controller service is running. I also double checked that the port 6901 is open using Telnet.

But unfortunately i cannot seem to be able to connect the agent to controller and get the below error.  Could someone help?

"

Failed to register this test agent with the test controller. Possible reasons could be you do not have permissions to connect to the test controller or a firewall is blocking the connection.
    To fix this problem, verify the test controller is running and you have appropriate permissions to register test agent with the test controller. Refer to this page for more details: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=212977&clcid=0x409

"

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:34 PM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

As the error message said, “To fix this problem, verify the test controller is running and you have appropriate permissions to register test agent with the test controller.” If the test controller is configured well and running well, I’m afraid that you might need to check the permission of your account. Note: not only the configuration user id should be added as admin, but also the logged in account(which you used to login to Test Agent) needs to be added as admin.

If you plan to run your test controllers and test agents on machines that are in a work group and not in a domain, or machines that run in different domains that do not have a two-way trust relationship, you must follow these steps as part of your installation process (refer more here):

1. On each computer where you will install a test controller or a test agent, create a local user account that is a member of the Administrators group. Use the same account and password on each machine.

2. Use this user account for your test controllers when you install and configure them.

3. Add this account to the TeamTestAgentService group on the test controller machine.

4. Install and configure your test agents using this same account.

Please check this document Unable to register test agent with test controller and it might help you.

To Add a test agent to a test controller, this document might helpful.

Hope this could help you and any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:05 AM
  • Hi friend,

Sorry to disturb you.

Did your issue solved? Did you have any update?

If the reply is helpful for you to solve your issue, please remember to mark as answer so that other members of forum who have the similar issue could refer to this thread.

If not, please feel free to let us know. We will try our best to help you.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 8:39 AM
  • Hi Tianyu,

I gave it a couple of days to figure out whats wrong. But i cannot tell easily what it is. The controller VM and Test agent VM are in the same domain. I installed the visual studio software on them using an admin account (Adm1n1str4t0r) and its the same account i use to login in to use the VM and also configure anything. But i have a separate service account which i use as the credentials for the agent service and controller service (svc-lmkiiperftest). Both these accounts are admins on the Controller and Agent VM's. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I still get the same error when i try to start the agent service and connect to the Controller

"

Work completed for GetConfiguration() call : got out of turn error
    E, 2019/09/09, 12:59:03.496, Failed to register this test agent with the test controller. Possible reasons could be you do not have permissions to connect to the test controller or a firewall is blocking the connection.
    To fix this problem, verify the test controller is running and you have appropriate permissions to register test agent with the test controller. Refer to this page for more details: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=212977&clcid=0x409"

I also noticed this error in the log file, this was before the final error message shown above

"

I, 2019/09/09, 12:59:03.355, CreateControllerObject: attempt 2, System.Security.Authentication.InvalidCredentialException: The server has rejected the client credentials. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The logon attempt failed
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---"

Monday, September 9, 2019 1:58 PM
  • Hi RiyaziH,

Thank you for feedback.

I have tried to connect test agent to test controller in my side using VMs. This is my configuration and that works, like the pictures below, I choose “This account”(name of my VM computer account) and “Password”. In “Register this test agent with the following Test Controller” I set to use the format like [full computer name(VM) + :6901]. You could refer to my steps and if there is anything different, feel free to contact us.

Hope this could help you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:51 AM
  • HI Tianyu

That is exactly my configuration too. Are you using Visual Studio 2019? 

Riyazi

Friday, September 13, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Hi Riyazi,

Sorry for delay in reply.

Yes, I use Visual Studio Test Agent 2019 and Visual Studio Load Test Controller 2019.

Which version of test agent and test controller do you use? If you use older versions, please feel free to tell me and I will go to test in my side.

> > But I have a separate service account which I use as the credential for the agent service and controller service.

## I consider whether this might affect the permission of the connection.

## BTW in my side I made the controller and agent to the same work group like below.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2019 10:03 AM
  • Hi Tianyu

I'm using Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise edition with Test Controller 2019(2) and Test Agent 2019. The VM's are part of the same domain. 

What authorities does the accounts which run the controller and agent services require apart from being local admins? 

Riyazi

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:24 PM
  • Hi RiyaziH,

Thank you for your feedback.

Usually, if test agent and test controller are in same domain or work-group, they will work well in connection.

Maybe you could try to use the account and password that you login in VM to test if agent and controller could connect well.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:05 AM
  • Hi Tianyu,

So seems like the restrictions on communication was held within the VM itself and the fact that they were on PAM system. 

Once they were taken out of PAM all works hunky dory :). 

Thanks for your help

Riyazi

Monday, October 7, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Hi Riyazi,

Thanks for the feedback.

We are so glad to hear that this issue has been solved. Also, thank you to share us with the solution.

If possible, you could mark the useful reply as answer so that other members who have the similar issue could refer to this thread and get more help.

Have a nice day : )

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:25 AM