none
Distributed cache in SharePoint 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have 4 WFE and 2 APP servers in a SharePoint 2013 Farm and Distributed cache is already started on all 6 servers.

So should I keep enabled Distributed cache on all 6 servers?

Or on APP servers Distributed cache should be disabled and WFE should have Distributed cache enabled?

Please suggest.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Prakash,

To check that how many servers are in Distributed Cache cluster, running the following PowerShell command:

$instanceName ="SPDistributedCacheService Name=AppFabricCachingService"
    Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {($_.service.tostring()) -eq $instanceName} |select Server, Status

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 29, 2016 10:24 AM
  • You can also run:

Use-CacheCluster
    Get-CacheHost

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, April 29, 2016 1:59 PM

All replies

• Dist Cache is only supported for up to 4 servers in a farm. Keep them on the FEs only.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

Thanks for suggestion, I will do same and remove from 2 App.

One more suggestion: Is there any power shell command exist to check that how may servers are in Distributed Cache cluster? 

Friday, April 29, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi Prakash,

To check that how many servers are in Distributed Cache cluster, running the following PowerShell command:

$instanceName ="SPDistributedCacheService Name=AppFabricCachingService"
    Get-SPServiceInstance | ? {($_.service.tostring()) -eq $instanceName} |select Server, Status

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 29, 2016 10:24 AM
  • You can also run:

Use-CacheCluster
    Get-CacheHost

Trevor Seward

Friday, April 29, 2016 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

We have a lot of issues in SharePoint logs related with Distributed Cache service. The Cache Cluster and Cache Hosts are disabled but a lot of diagnostics errors is thrown in the logs, like:

Token Cache: Failed to initialize SPDistributedSecurityTokenCache  Exception: 'System.InvalidOperationException: SPDistributedCachePointerWrapper::InitializeDataCacheFactory - No cache hosts are present or running in the farm.   

Is there any way to stop logging in logs of those messages? Is there related Job or something which can be disabled and logs will not be stuffing with all those informations ?

Many thanks for any help.

Regards,

Kamil

Friday, February 24, 2017 10:10 AM