none
SocialCommentWebPart Alternative ?

Question

• Are we still stuck with the SocialCommentWebPart in SharePoint 2013 ?

I want the users to be able to comment news articles (publishing pages) etc in the same ways as in mysite.

Threaded with mentions hashtags etc.. 

What am i missing ? :) I have looked at all the available webparts i think.., and can't really find anything suitable..

SocialCommentWebPart is ancient, and it breaks the markup when the document mode is set to html5.

Anyone ?

Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:21 PM

Answers

• I think there is a misunderstanding. You need only to inherit from SocialCommentControl and override the way in render the comments:

public class IdeaSocialCommentControl : SocialCommentControl, ICallbackEventHandler
        {

protected override void RenderComment(StringBuilder strBuilder, SocialComment comment, int sequence, int page)
            {
                //your render code
            }

}
    If you have problem with some css, use !important and override it. I think this is a 3 hours job.

Chears
    Martin

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:48 AM

All replies

• Did you try to use the SocialCommentControl directly?

http://markuspersson.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/add-a-noteboard-control-to-a-custom-page-layout/#comments

If it is not working for you, then you have to create your own custom WebPart. You can reuse the capabilities of the socialcommentcontrol.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:19 PM
  • SocialCommentWebPart is just a wrapper for SocialCommentControl.

So they look and behave the same.

When i post a comment in that webpart, it doesn't show anything in the mysite feed either..

Creating a custom webpart would be a really large job..

I really can't believe that the new social features is just a stupid mysite feature only.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 10:14 PM
  • I think there is a misunderstanding. You need only to inherit from SocialCommentControl and override the way in render the comments:

public class IdeaSocialCommentControl : SocialCommentControl, ICallbackEventHandler
        {

protected override void RenderComment(StringBuilder strBuilder, SocialComment comment, int sequence, int page)
            {
                //your render code
            }

}
    If you have problem with some css, use !important and override it. I think this is a 3 hours job.

Chears
    Martin

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:48 AM
  • Hi, have a look at this:

http://www.sharepoint4developers.net/en-nz/post/socialcommentcontrol-html5-bug.aspx

It shows the fix to be applied.

Marcel Medina - SharePoint Developer

Monday, January 20, 2014 12:53 PM