SharePoint - 80 "The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

Question

• The SharePoint-80 WFE Application port stopped unexpectedly. It fails to start displaying the message below!!!

The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Any ideas to the solution of this issue!!!

Thanks and Regards,

Adeoye...
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, January 06, 2009 1:06 PM Subject enhanced
    Tuesday, January 06, 2009 12:56 PM

Answers

• Hello, 

Please temporarily disable firewalls and anti-virus software and test the issue again.

If the issue persists, please let us know more details:

1.       The version of your SharePoint product.

2.       The complete event log that mentions “The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process” (I assume that you got the log from Event Viewer, if so, please let us know the complete event item, because the related components and further information is logged. If not, please check the Event Viewer for the details.)

3.       Check the ULS logs during the issue occurs. Cite related error to us.

We will also need to check IIS logs if the steps above doesn’t target the root cause. Thanks for your co-operations!

Hope it helps! Happy New Year!

Best Regards,

Lionel

Thursday, January 08, 2009 5:31 AM

All replies

• Try going to the command line and typing iisreset and see if that helps.  Do any of your other sites work okay?
    John
    SharePoint911: SharePoint Consulting
    http://www.rossonmoss.com
    Tuesday, January 06, 2009 1:34 PM
  • i have tried iisreset. it does not work

All other Web Applicaation lists works fine except the sharepoint port 80
    Tuesday, January 06, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Hello, 

Please temporarily disable firewalls and anti-virus software and test the issue again.

If the issue persists, please let us know more details:

1.       The version of your SharePoint product.

2.       The complete event log that mentions “The Process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process” (I assume that you got the log from Event Viewer, if so, please let us know the complete event item, because the related components and further information is logged. If not, please check the Event Viewer for the details.)

3.       Check the ULS logs during the issue occurs. Cite related error to us.

We will also need to check IIS logs if the steps above doesn’t target the root cause. Thanks for your co-operations!

Hope it helps! Happy New Year!

Best Regards,

Lionel

Thursday, January 08, 2009 5:31 AM
  • Appreciating that the original post was 2 years ago so probably not an issue any more but I stumbled on this when trying to solve the problem so if anyone else does:

---

I had a similar problem but not with SharePoint. In my case it was a conflict on Port 80.  You need to find the process that is using port 80 and fix the conflict.  In my case this turned out to be Skype; quitting Skype allowed me to start the web server.

I suggest that you look at this conversation about the actual conflict:

http://forums.iis.net/p/1086489/1913193.aspx

On step not covered there is how to get from PID to app (by default Task Manager doesn't show the PID).  Solved by adding it through View|Select columns when on the processes tab.

All the best - Christopher

Friday, April 01, 2011 2:07 PM