Sharepoint 2013 RSS Web Part Color RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to modify the text colors in the RSS Web Part?

The default text color is dark blue while the hover text is black. This is not very suitable on a dark body background, which I use on my Sharepoint site.

I have looked through the various palette files in /_catalogs/theme/15/Palette00* but I can't find any <s:color name="" value="" /> which applies to the RSS Web Part text colors.

Does anybody have any experience in changing the RSS Web Part colors?

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:17 PM

Answers

• A quick n' dirty way of doing this is to edit the XSLT, for example:

<div class="item link-item" >
                                <a href="{concat(&quot;javascript:ToggleItemDescription('&quot;,$CurrentElement,&quot;')&quot;)}" style="color:#000000">
                                    <xsl:value-of select="title"/>
                                </a>

Make sure you check all of the XSLT, you'll probably have to change this on few locations.

If you try to change it in the palette files, you will probably mess up colors in some other controls. You could use your own CSS and target a specific div class or id, which would be a more elegant way of achieving this, specially if you have to do this more than once (e.g. on more than one page).

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:06 AM

All replies

• A quick n' dirty way of doing this is to edit the XSLT, for example:

<div class="item link-item" >
                                <a href="{concat(&quot;javascript:ToggleItemDescription('&quot;,$CurrentElement,&quot;')&quot;)}" style="color:#000000">
                                    <xsl:value-of select="title"/>
                                </a>

Make sure you check all of the XSLT, you'll probably have to change this on few locations.

If you try to change it in the palette files, you will probably mess up colors in some other controls. You could use your own CSS and target a specific div class or id, which would be a more elegant way of achieving this, specially if you have to do this more than once (e.g. on more than one page).

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:06 AM
  • Thank you for replying so quickly.

I made the changes to the xslt as you suggested, and it worked out fine :-)

Very usefull.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Could you help me?

I have the same issue. I need to change the RSS Web Part default font size. It's so small for me.

I didn't undrestand completely about XSLT. Should I edit it in XSL editor at the RSS Web Part Settings page? The RSS Web Part already has a big part of XSL code. What is the right placу for my code insertion?

Monday, March 25, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Hi Andrey,

you will basically need to edit XSLT you found under settings. Although you don't need an understanding of XSLT and how it works, you will need to find relevant HTML elements within XSLT and change them. So, in the above example you would need to find relevant div tags and change a element style to include something like (for example) font-size: 13px. The easiest way to do it is to copy XSLT into e.g. Notepad and use search to find these elements, change it in there and again, copy and paste XSLT from Notepad to the Web Part settings.

As earlier pointed out, more elegant solution would be to use CSS and target divs and make changes in there. This way you would need to do these changes only once for all and not once per web part, like this is a case with XSLT modification.

Hth,
    Aleks

• Proposed as answer by Andrey_Kirov Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:21 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 1:23 PM
  • Thank you very much!

It works!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:22 AM