none
How do you get started with reports? RRS feed

• Question

• I have VS 2017 CE 15.9.16, .NET version 4.7. Reporting appears not to come with this version out of the box.

I've used Nuget Manager to install:
    Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.Winforms v150.1400.0
    Microsoft.ReportViewer 11.0.3366.16
    Microsoft.SqlServer.Types 14.0.1016.290

After restarting, I can't find any Report Wizard or even a Reporting category in the toolbox, but I do have a new category in the toolbox called Microsoft Report Viewer 2012, and under it, there is a ReportViewer control.

When I drag this ReportViewer control to a form, I get this:

ReportViewer control

However, if I click "Design a new report," nothing happens. If I select the Choose Report dropdown, there is only one choice -- <ServerReport>. I look at Properties, but I see nothing there that would lead to designing the report.

I'm using Access as the database. Besides that, what am I doing wrong?

Monday, March 9, 2020 3:12 PM

Answers

• I've been able to answer my own question. Turns out I was completely in the dark about this works, so here's the info in case it helps someone else. I had found bits and pieces, tips here and there, but here's the page I found that has everything from start to end. https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/install-rdlc-extensions-in-visual-studio-2017/

What I didn't realize is that it's a two-step process. First you create an RDLC file, which is where you design the report. And then you drop a Report Viewer control on a form, and select the RDLC file in the control's properties.

• Marked as answer by Robert in SF Monday, March 9, 2020 8:40 PM
    • Edited by Robert in SF Wednesday, March 11, 2020 1:31 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2020 8:35 PM