none
Preventing users from seeing list items worldwide context RRS feed

• Question

• Thank you for reading the case

Scenario:

I'm planning to have a list, only one list, for managers to fill in a questionnaire. They will have to answer the same questionnaire every year, so the list will grow over time. The data will be used for analysis and audit. It's an internal control questionnaire.

The managers are located in 100+ countries, and they may delegate filling out the form to some of their staff, but the send/confirm button is only for them to push (can manage this part by checking who the user is, but suggestions are welcome).

Here's the challenge I have:

The items on the list should only be visible by country; staff in other countries should not see the items for their colleagues abroad.

I may make the draft available only to the author, but if there's more than one author I don't know what to do; for example if the manager delegates the filling-in of the form two or three people in the same country should be able to see the draft answers.

Is there a way I can control the visibility of the items by creating a special group (or groups) or can you suggest a different solution?

I could create separate lists by country and merge them into a single one for analysis, but if possible I'd rather avoid that overhead.

All suggestions are more than welcome.

Thank you very much

Leonel

lg

Friday, September 20, 2019 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Leonel, 

For your challenges:

1. The items on the list should only be visible by country, staff in other countries should not see the items for their colleagues abroad.

You can create separate folders by country, grant unique users permissions on the folders by by country.

How to manage permissions for a list, library, folder or document item (SharePoint 2013) for your reference:

https://billing.plexhosted.com/knowledgebase/271/how-to-manage-permissions-for-a-list-library-folder-or-document-item-sharepoint-2013.html

2. I may make the draft available only to the author, but if there's more than one author I don't know what to do; for example if the manager delegates the filling-in of the form two or three people in the same country should be able to see the draft answers.

Navigate to Library settings->versioning settings->enable content approval and choose "<label for="onetidMinorApprover">Only users who can approve items (and the author of the item)":</label>

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, September 23, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Hi Leonel, 

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:06 AM
  • Thank you for your answers

I have solved the problem by using a user filter linking two lists. The first list determines which country the person is assigned to (not necessarily where the person sits), the second one lists the documents based on the country the document relates to.

Thank you again

Leonel

lg

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Hi Leonel, 

Since your issue is solved, please remember to mark your reply as an answer. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Hi Leonel, 

Please remember to mark your reply as an answer. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Friday, September 27, 2019 7:37 AM
  • Hi Leonel, 

Please remember to mark your reply as an answer. It will benefit many other users who met the similar issue. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 8:33 AM