none
File server alternative - File Storage?

Întrebare

• Hello,

We have a file server that is 4TB in size and it's on premise at the moment.  We use ASR and I have it replicating to Azure.  I wan't to permanently put it in Azure, but don't really need the OS and would like to use PaaS for it.  Is using File Storage the way to go?  I'd like to map the drive to the users Windows 10 PC through a GPO just like they do now.

Plus do you have an idiots guide to set this up? :)

To transfer the data from the current to new I'm not sure of either.

Thanks

16 mai 2018 07:07

Răspunsuri

• Azure files does provide a file share you can map to users PC's without having to manage a server, but it does have some downsides currently that you want to confirm whether they concern you:

• Mapping of the drive is done using the storage account key, there are no user ACL's, all users access using the same key
    • There is a limit of 4TB
    • THere is a throughput limit of 60 MB/s

All of these things are being worked on and we will likely see improvements in the future, but these are the limitations today.

Setting up an Azure file share is simple, you can just create a new file share on a storage account using the portal or PowerShell/CLI. This will then provide you with a command to be able to map the drive.

Sam Cogan Microsoft Azure MVP
    Blog | Twitter

16 mai 2018 08:05

Toate mesajele

• Azure files does provide a file share you can map to users PC's without having to manage a server, but it does have some downsides currently that you want to confirm whether they concern you:

• Mapping of the drive is done using the storage account key, there are no user ACL's, all users access using the same key
    • There is a limit of 4TB
    • THere is a throughput limit of 60 MB/s

All of these things are being worked on and we will likely see improvements in the future, but these are the limitations today.

Setting up an Azure file share is simple, you can just create a new file share on a storage account using the portal or PowerShell/CLI. This will then provide you with a command to be able to map the drive.

Blog | Twitter

16 mai 2018 08:05
  • Thanks for the heads-up.

I will try and create one as a test.

So we can add AD credentials to the folders?

• Editat de TB303 16 mai 2018 15:46
    16 mai 2018 15:41
  • One minor correction: Azure Files currently supports 5 TiB shares. We're working on increasing this to 100 TiB shortly, which will also increase the IOPS and throughput limits at the same time. We have not yet announced the preview date yet, but we're working on it :)

16 mai 2018 18:17
  • Addition to Wills,

You cannot give access to Folders/Files on AzureFiles based on Active Directory credentials. There are no ACLs on Azure shares. The only credentials you use are your storage account name and one if two storage account keys. Azure find shares are not designed for ACL based permissions.

If you wish you may leave your feedback here. All the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Azure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

16 mai 2018 19:07
  • Hey ,

Just checking in to see if the above suggestions helped or you need further assistance on this issue.

18 mai 2018 13:39
  • Hello, I've not tried this yet but thanks for all the info.
    21 mai 2018 08:50
  • For the cost, do you just pay for the storage costs as there is no OS/License?
    21 mai 2018 09:40
  • When creating the storage account what do I choose for:

Replication

Secure Transfer

This will be for SMB shares to map to users or servers for normal Windows Explorer storage.

Thanks

21 mai 2018 09:50
  • With Azure files, you are only paying for the storage.

Replication can either be LRS (local replication in the same region) or GRS (replication to another region), GRS is double the cost.

I would suggest you enable secure transfer.

Blog | Twitter

22 mai 2018 12:25