none
How to move from Azure storage (classic) to ARM?

Întrebare

• Hello Folks,

We have a azure classic VM that is connected to a Classic storage device.
    I want to move it from classic storage to ARM.  Can you please advise how to go about doing this?
    Apparently azure classic storage is priced much higher than ARM.  Hence I want to move out
    from Classic to ARM.

Any suggestions on how to do this will really help. 

Thanks,
    Bhuvana

30 mai 2018 08:10

Răspunsuri

Toate mesajele

• You may refer “Migrate a storage account”.

Note: Before you migrate the storage account, please perform prerequisite checks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or “Up-Vote”. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

30 mai 2018 09:40
  • Thank you for the quick response.  I will check the link and do the needful.
    31 mai 2018 02:43
  • Hey Bhuvana,

Checking in to see if the above answer helped. Let me know if there are still any additional issues I can help with.

5 iunie 2018 05:39
  • Hello Pradeep,

Thanks for checking in!

I am trying to follow the instructions provided in the link that you referred to in your earlier post. 

However, when i run the command 'Connect-AzureRmAccount' in windows Powershell, it retrieves only one subscription profile.  We have 2 subscription profiles in our account - one is Microsoft-partner-account and the other one is Pay-as-you-go.  Only the 'Pay-as-you-go' profile is showing up.  I am not able to figure out why the other subscription is not showing.

Can you help and provide some directions as to why this may be happening? 

Thanks again.

Bhuvana

11 iunie 2018 12:50
  • Hey Bhuvana,

You may use the following steps to select the right subscription.

For ASM model:

Sign in to your account for the classic model.

Add-AzureAccount

Get the available subscriptions by using the following command:

Get-AzureSubscription | Sort SubscriptionName | Select SubscriptionName

Set your Azure subscription for the current session. This example sets the default subscription to My Azure Subscription. Replace the example subscription name with your own.

Select-AzureSubscription –SubscriptionName "My Azure Subscription"

For ARM model:

Sign in to your account for the ARM model.

Add-AzureRmAccount

To change the current subscription, use the following steps:

Step 1: Get-AzureRmSubscription

It will List all your subscriptions.

Step 2: Select-AzureRmSubscription -SubscriptionId xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxxx

The SubscriptionID can be found in the output of the Get-AzureRmSubscription. You can also use the SubscriptionName.

Step 3: (Get-AzureRmContext).Subscription

Confirm that you have selected the right subscription.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or “Up-Vote”. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

12 iunie 2018 05:58
  • Hello Pradeep,

That worked! Thanks.

But now I have another query.  The VM, that i want to move from classic to ARM, is already associated with a subscription which is in Azure ARM.  So does that mean that the VM resource is NOT in Azure Classic and hence, the process that i need to follow to move the VM from classic to ARM, will be different?

Just getting a little confused here.  Please let me know.

Bhuvana

12 iunie 2018 07:01
  • Hey Bhuvana,

Are you looking for migrating Classic VM or just classic Storage account?

Could you share the screenshot of the resource groups which contains resources of the VM? So that we can identify and suggest you the workaround steps.

Understand the difference: “ARM vs Classic deployments”.

And also, you may refer “Migrate IaaS resource from Classic to ARM by using PowerShell”.

12 iunie 2018 07:26
  • For Starters, I would like to move classic Storage account.

Here is the screenshot of resource group that i would like to move to ARM:

12 iunie 2018 12:57
  • Hey Bhuvana,

All the resources are classic ASM deployment.

You can migrate by following this article “Migrate IaaS resource from Classic to ARM by using PowerShell”.

Let me know if there are still any additional issues I can help with.

• Marcat ca răspuns de cyndigo 16 iunie 2018 13:43
    13 iunie 2018 07:07
  • Checking in to see if the above answer helped. Let me know if there are still any additional issues I can help with.

16 iunie 2018 05:31
  • Hi,

I moved the VM and VNET from classic to ARM.  But now i am not able to move the storage.  I am getting following error message.

Do you have any pointers for this one? 

Thanks for your help.

16 iunie 2018 12:13
  • PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Move-AzureStorageAccount -Prepare -StorageAccountName $storageAccountName
    Move-AzureStorageAccount : InternalError : The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Move-AzureStorageAccount -Prepare -StorageAccountName $storageAccount ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Move-AzureStorageAccount], ComputeCloudException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceManagement.StorageServices.MoveStorageAccountC
       and
    16 iunie 2018 12:16
  • Hello Pradeep,

With a little bit of trial and error, i have moved all resources from Classic to ARM.
    Thank you very much for your time and help.
    Appreciate it!

Bhuvana
    16 iunie 2018 13:45
  • Glad to hear that your issue is resolved.
    19 iunie 2018 06:37
  • I have another question.

When the network resources were moved to ARM, a new security group was automatically set-up and in that, there is an inbound rule that i am not able to edit or delete.

Can you please tell me how to remove this one?

Bhuvana

20 iunie 2018 06:49
  • Hey Bhuvana,

Need below information in-order to understand your issues:

Does the resource group contain network security group, which you have moved to ARM?

Could you share the screenshot of the resource group which contains network security group and which you are trying to edit?

20 iunie 2018 08:08
  • No...there was no security group.

Please check the screenshot here.

21 iunie 2018 06:37
  • If you click on any NSG rule, you will get the option to edit or delete the rule as shown below:

21 iunie 2018 10:51
  • I am able to select and edit every rule in that list except the one which i have highlighted.

Do you know why that particular row may be locked for edit/delete?

Thanks,
    Bhuvana
    22 iunie 2018 08:31
  • Hey Bhuvana,

Note: When you create a Network Security Group (NSG) or migrated from ASM to ARM, even completely empty without any rule, there are some defaults that come with it.

Notice in the screenshot that there are three inbound and three outbound rules. Rules are assigned a priority, and while the default rules cannot be deleted.

23 iunie 2018 03:20
  • Just Checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

28 iunie 2018 06:32