• Hello,

I found the following tool:

https://sqlbackupandftp.com/features

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

15 iunie 2018 14:19
  • Azure SQL Database single and pooled databases, as well as databases in Azure SQL Database Managed Instance, as automatically backed up by the SQL Database Service. With single and pooled databases, there is no option to access those backups for export. With Managed Instance, you can do Full_Copy backup to an Azure blob. If you want to export from a single or pooled database, you can export to a BACPAC file from a copy of the database or from a database that is not actively processing transactions (for consistency)

carl rabeler

15 iunie 2018 15:48
  • Thanks, I had a look at this software and I am testing it right now.
    18 iunie 2018 12:11
  • Hi John,

There are lot of third party apps that  can do this but you can also do it yourself directly (in two steps: first backup to the Azure blob, and secondly copy the file to anyplace you want)

Step 1: We can backup the Azure SQL Database to the Azure blob if you want at any time (manually or scheduled automatic using Azure Automation for example). These files can be copied to any local or remote storage place next step.

Option 1: manually Export an Azure SQL database to a BACPAC file

Option 2: Using Automation account runbooks feature you can schedule the backup

Mohamed Baioumy (from Microsoft) rote a nice post explaining how to do this:
    How to automate Export Azure SQL DB to blob storage use Automation account

There are other options like using SQL Server Import and Export Wizard, SSIS, Export a Data-tier Application using SSMS, backup data with BCP utility, and so on

*I found this post with the help of Google and it seems in first glance that it give nice explanation on several options:
    https://sqlbackupandftp.com/blog/how-to-backup-azure-sql-database-to-local-machine

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

18 iunie 2018 16:02
  • Thanks Ronen for your input. Will review but we want to do our extra backups automatically.

BTW, do you know whether there is a charge when we copy data from the Azure SQL db?

19 iunie 2018 05:33
  • Thanks Ronen for your input. Will review but we want to do our extra backups automatically.

BTW, do you know whether there is a charge when we copy data from the Azure SQL db?

Hi,

>> but we want to do our extra backups automatically

Check the link to the post that Mohamed Baioumy wrote, which I gave you. This will help you create extra backups automatically.

>> do you know whether there is a charge when we copy data from the Azure SQL db

The procedure of copy the database is based on exporting the data in one way or another. This is not the same as directly back in the server level (T-SQL command BACKUP is not supported in Azure SQL Database, but only in local SQL Server and Azure Managed Instance). I assume that the cost is simply reduced from the payment for the database (The DTU, eDTU, or vCore according to the tier you use). In addition of the cost of executing the queries, the only extra cost which I can see is the payment for the Azure Automation service and the storage for the backups files.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

19 iunie 2018 10:16