oData service for Azure SQL Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Apologies if this question has previously been asked and replied to, I've searched but couldn't find any information relating to it. So here goes my question,

I am looking to get information relating to oData support for Azure SQL Database, according to help provided over the internet, while creating an SQL database, there used to be a checkbox to Enable oData for the particular Database, however, don't seem to find that option when I was creating one.Tried getting some information on Azure Portal but can't seem to find any recent documentation relating to oData service for Azure SQL. All information I found dates back to 2010 and 2013.

Some recommend using SKYVIA to enable oData for Azure SQL - I'm more inclined towards finding Azure specific information only.

Can anyone please help me in directing me to some updated documentation or help me in providing some information to setup an SQL Database with oData service enabled

Thank you and apologies, it's my first week on Azure so still learning the ropes (hence the layman terminologies)

Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Apologies if this question has previously been asked and replied to, I've searched but couldn't find any information relating to it. So here goes my question,

I am looking to get information relating to oData support for Azure SQL Database, according to help provided over the internet, while creating an SQL database, there used to be a checkbox to Enable oData for the particular Database, however, don't seem to find that option when I was creating one.Tried getting some information on Azure Portal but can't seem to find any recent documentation relating to oData service for Azure SQL. All information I found dates back to 2010 and 2013.

Some recommend using SKYVIA to enable oData for Azure SQL - I'm more inclined towards finding Azure specific information only.

Can anyone please help me in directing me to some updated documentation or help me in providing some information to setup an SQL Database with oData service enabled

Thank you and apologies, it's my first week on Azure so still learning the ropes (hence the layman terminologies)

Good day RaceBennon,

>> here used to be a checkbox to Enable oData for the particular Database, however, don't seem to find that option when I was creating one.

You are right.

There was a lab testing this option in 2010 but s much as I understand it never got to GA. It stayed as an idea only.

There is open feedback on the topic. If you want Microsoft to add this option then you can vote to the feedback and try to promote it. The number of vote can impact the team to add it :-)

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/217321-sql-database/suggestions/36478459-enable-simple-odata-endpoints-for-sql-azure-databa

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Friday, May 29, 2020 1:18 AM
  • Thank you Ronen Ariely,

It seems like a very good option to be present providing much simplicity to create REST APIs. However, is there any resource which could help in achieving what I'm trying to achieve here (in the absence of this Enable oData checkbox option). Something you can direct me to,

Thank you once again for your response.

Friday, May 29, 2020 1:19 PM
  • Thank you Ronen Ariely,

It seems like a very good option to be present providing much simplicity to create REST APIs. However, is there any resource which could help in achieving what I'm trying to achieve here (in the absence of this Enable oData checkbox option). Something you can direct me to,

Thank you once again for your response.

Hi,

You did not explain what is your real needs. You only explained that you need the option of oData.

Take 10 steps back, and try to describe what is your real source needs. Why do you need oData? The procedure to get to the real source needs is sometimes a bit confusing and complex. It is the basic work of an architect. You should keep asking your self "why do I need it" until you get to the source needs and then we can discuss it

For example:
    A person might ask "How do I solve the math calculation 3*3. When we ask him why do you need this calculation, then he might say: since I want to buy 3 cars and each car cost 3$. The source need here is to buy 3 cars and it has nothing to do with math. If I have a solution for him to buy 3 cars in 1$ total, then it will solve the source issue without the need to make any calculation😀

So, what is your source needs🙄 
    please try to explain what you have and what you need

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

• Edited by pituachMVP Saturday, May 30, 2020 1:17 AM
    Saturday, May 30, 2020 1:16 AM
  • The OData functionality was discontinued. Please see the following UserVoice entry: Enable simple OData endpoints for SQL Azure Database

Regards,

Mike

Monday, June 1, 2020 7:53 PM