none
Unable to make a report project in Visual Studio 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I understand there are many ways to make reports with datasets formed on the basis of tables in SQL Server. I've tried many, perhaps a dozen or more and so far I am still at the starting point. I posted on the issue before, that was a stumble with Connection string in Report designer.  Connection string failure     Why did it not work while my other applications connect with SQL Server 2017, 2017, Developer, with no problem?

This time I tried to create a report project in Visual Studio with the stipulation that the datasets will be supplied by the SQL Server. I got this Error message in the designer wizard for Visual Studio reporting service:

<AdventureWorks2017.Person.Address>
    User-defined types(UDTs)are not supported in the Dataset Designer.

There are no UDT's in that table in AdventureWorks2017. Look:

I want to get an answer from MS associated individuals.

Thanks, - MyCatAlex

• Edited by MyCatAlex Saturday, December 7, 2019 6:39 PM
    Saturday, December 7, 2019 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi MyCatAlex,

I've tested the mentioned database table and imported it as dataset in my test environment, for this, I haven't encountered any similar issue as you described.

I have SSDT 2017 on VS 2017. SQL Server 2017 developer edition.

Have you installed SSDT 2017 correctly on your machine?  SSDT for VS 2017 (standalone installer)

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MyCatAlex Monday, December 9, 2019 7:02 PM
    Monday, December 9, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Hi, 

What edition of SQL Server have you downloaded? 

Since SQL Server 2017, SSRS package was divided from MS SQL. 

The hyperlink in the installation wizard is merely only to guide you to the corresponded downloading page. 

You could always find SSRS2019 and SSDT2019 on the official website and download them.

SSDT is the BI developing environment that is required for SSRS (also SSIS/SSAS) developing in Visual Studio.

Regards,

Lukas 

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MyCatAlex Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:59 AM

All replies

• Hi MyCatAlex,

I've tested the mentioned database table and imported it as dataset in my test environment, for this, I haven't encountered any similar issue as you described.

I have SSDT 2017 on VS 2017. SQL Server 2017 developer edition.

Have you installed SSDT 2017 correctly on your machine?  SSDT for VS 2017 (standalone installer)

Regards,

Lukas

• Marked as answer by MyCatAlex Monday, December 9, 2019 7:02 PM
    Monday, December 9, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Lucas hi,

Even before this event, some other similar issues, roughly described as absence of important options in my Visual Studio 2017, I decided to reinstall it from scratch which went as "repair" I guess. I thought that I missed the Report option at the first installation. So, I chose all options I could but the Reporting Services option in that treeVew was disabled. What is SSDT? Maybe this is what I need? I lost track of the software I have been installing for the past month or so.

Your post gives me a hope and I appreciate it very much.

Thank you, - MyCatAlex

Monday, December 9, 2019 7:02 PM
  • OK, I installed SQL Server 2019 edition two weeks ago and since has not really used it. Now I decided to reinstall it with the stipulation that I will activate all options. Look what happened

When I clicked on Install SQL Server reporting Services, it gave me the error message which is in the left of the image, when I clicked on Install SQL Server Data Tools, it gave me an identical error message. In short I am not allowed to install critical software. I can purchase Standard Edition for a single user. Will it help? Will it be better?

- MyCatAlex

• Edited by MyCatAlex Monday, December 9, 2019 7:40 PM
    Monday, December 9, 2019 7:25 PM
  • Hi, 

The hyperlink in the installation wizard is merely only to guide you to the corresponded downloading page. 

You could always find SSRS2019 and SSDT2019 on the official website and download them.

SSDT is the BI developing environment that is required for SSRS (also SSIS/SSAS) developing in Visual Studio.

Regards,

Lukas 

• Marked as answer by MyCatAlex Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:59 AM
  • Lucas hi,

I tried to install SQL Server from this file

SQL2019-SSEI-Dev.exe

which I downloaded a month or so ago.

It is late night in my area, I will try to understand your post tomorrow morning.

Thanks, - MyCatAlex

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 1:25 AM
  • Hi, 

Regards,

Lukas 

Lucas hi,

In my opinion you are a CHAMP!. Why has this simple solution evaded me for so long.?  I spent a month trying every method possible to make reports feasible and an hour ago I install ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB in my SQL Server 2017 Developer with the help of this exec file SQLServerReportingServices.exe that became available at your link. What I want to ask you is if you can point me to a website where I can find all Transact-SQL statements to make any report I want. I marked your post as answer. Thank you very much.

- MyCatAlex

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 6:46 PM