none
Sharepoint 2013 filling hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I inherited a Sharepoint 2013 server couple of years ago.  Lately it has started losing its index and on occasion hard drive has filled up.  Most of the time I've been able to beat it into submission and gotten it to work again.

Today though, I can not for the life of me get it to do a crawl w.out filling hard drive.   Server has about 11gb free which is not a lot but has been enough (working on migrating to sharepoint.com).   Anyway, if start a crawl the server eats the space up in few minutes.   If I restart the SharePoint Server Search 15 service it frees up the space it's eating up but the crawl stops working.  I did a test and I temporarily freed up 35gb of space and it still ate all of that up while crawling (took about 10 min to eat that up).

Any thoughts on how I might be able to gain control over the server again?

Thanks,

Jakob Ragnarsson

Friday, December 20, 2019 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Jakob.

Could you share some details about the Search topology? Are you using a dedicated drive for the Search index?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Friday, December 20, 2019 8:21 PM
  • Increase the size of the drive. That is more or less your only option. You can move the index to another drive, if available, but the crawl will still consume space on the C: drive during the crawl.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, December 20, 2019 8:44 PM
  • So there is only a single server and I believe it's just the default topology.   We would not be using a dedicated drive for the search index.   I do have plenty of free space on secondary drives, but how do I move the search index?

Thanks,

Jakob

Friday, December 20, 2019 8:55 PM
  • Do you have  link for instructions on how to move the index to another drive.  I have 2 additional drives with plenty of space.
    Friday, December 20, 2019 8:56 PM
  • https://regroove.ca/archive/2015/01/11/sharepoint-2013-moving-the-search-index-partition-to-the-wfe/

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, December 20, 2019 9:00 PM
  • Thank you Trevor!
    Friday, December 20, 2019 9:21 PM
  • A temporary fix was the following (it's gonna blow up again soon) but for now while I work on migrating off it:

Stop “SharePoint Timer Service”

Stop “SharePoint Search Host Controller”

Delete data directory, by default install it will look like this:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Data\Office Server\Applications\Search\Nodes\[Hex ID\IndexComponentN\storage\data\*

Start “SharePoint Timer Service”

Start “SharePoint Search Host Controller”

After I did this....I ran a index reset and the I was able to crawl w.out it filling up the hard drive.

Saturday, December 21, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Hi jakobgr, 

I am glad to hear your issue is solved.

In addition, as your issue has been fixed, I suggest you mark a reply as answer to close this thread.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, December 23, 2019 2:52 AM
  • Hi jakobgr, 

Please remember to mark the helpful post as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, January 2, 2020 1:29 AM