none
I can't connect to MS Access (accdb) database that uses Large Number RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Access database that has a table with a field that uses the Large Number data type. When trying to connect using Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB (12 or 16) in C# code, i get following error: 

"The database you are trying to open requires a newer version of Microsoft Access."

In the Microsoft forum cites the problem when trying to connect to this type of database and suggests using the Access version 16.0.7xxxx (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/access/database-requires-newer-access). My version of Access I can upgrade to a higher version of the suggested, however, the most current Access engine available is version 16.0.4. How do I connect to this database type without changing the column data type?

Note: I have tried to install several different engines and use the 2016 version of X64 and X32 installed simultaneously.

Friday, December 13, 2019 6:07 PM

All replies

• Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16 should work for this.  Have you downloaded and installed the redistributable engine?  Or are you actually installing the full Access product?

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Friday, December 13, 2019 10:32 PM
  • I installed redistributable engine 2016 on both x32 and x64 versions
    Saturday, December 14, 2019 2:29 AM
  • Hi Clodoaldo Peres,
    You can try to  click File > Account > Update Options > Update Now. After you update, you'll be on version 16.0.7070.2019.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 16, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi Daniel,
    my problem is actually not the version of MS Access but the version of engine I'm using to connect to aacdb in Visual Studio. My version of Access is 16.0.11328xxx (Office 365). For databases like this that use Large Number there is no compatible download engine. The latest one available on the MS website is version 16.0.4xxxx
    Monday, December 16, 2019 12:18 PM
  • You need to show the FULL version numbers, because I think you are being fooled by the numbers.  That third number is an integer, so 11328 is greater than 7070 which is greater than 4000.

However BigInt should be available in ANY Access 16.0 engine.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 7:14 AM
  • Hi Tim,

the 16.0.11328 version I mentioned is from my Access (Office suite) and not from Database Engine Redistributable. Version 11328 is certainly superior to the version 7xxx you cited, however, that is not the problem. The problem is using Database Engine 2016 Redistributable in Visual Studio to connect to aacdb and it only has until version 16.0.4519.1000 available for download. I have already validated by changing the data type in table of Large Number to Text and that works. However what I am wondering is if there is a Large Number compliant Database Engine Redistributable so that in future cases I do not need to ask the client to change their table structure.

Versão atual do MS Access instalada

versão mais recente disponível no site da Microsoft e instalada no meu computador:

Versão atual do OLEDB instalada

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 12:36 PM