none
How to allow users to be Owners? RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a brand new Project Online site called "PMO".  I am attempting to create a project and set the Owner.  Currently only my name appears on the Pick Resource pop-up.  I've attempted to add users to various groups (listed below) but I cannot get their names to appear as a selectable option when assigning an owner. 

Groups I tried to add users to:

PMO Members
    PMO Owners
    Portfolio Mangers for Project Web App
    Project Managers for Project Web App
    and in a moment of frustration: Administrators for Project Web App

I've alsed tried creating a user as Resource but only my name exists as an option to set as an Owner.

Monday, July 13, 2020 12:59 PM

Answers

• Eric -- 

You first need to change your Project Online setting to Project Security Mode.  To do this, log into PWA with administrator permissions.  Click the Settings menu button (it looks like a gear wheel) in the upper right corner of the Home page and select the PWA Options item on the menu.   On the PWA Settings page, click the Additional Server Settings link in the Operational Policies section of the page.  On the Additional Server Settings page, select the Project Permission Mode option, and then click the Save button.

Next, navigate back to the PWA Settings page and then click the Manage Groups link in the Security section of the page.  On the Manage Groups page, click the Project Managers link.  Add all of your project managers to this security group and then click the OK button.  This will make your PMs eligible to become project Owners.

Next, open the project for editing from the Project Center page in PWA.  Click the Owner pick list button.  You should now see your PMs on the list.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Eric A. Rupp Monday, July 13, 2020 5:58 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2020 3:59 PM

All replies

• Eric -- 

You first need to change your Project Online setting to Project Security Mode.  To do this, log into PWA with administrator permissions.  Click the Settings menu button (it looks like a gear wheel) in the upper right corner of the Home page and select the PWA Options item on the menu.   On the PWA Settings page, click the Additional Server Settings link in the Operational Policies section of the page.  On the Additional Server Settings page, select the Project Permission Mode option, and then click the Save button.

Next, navigate back to the PWA Settings page and then click the Manage Groups link in the Security section of the page.  On the Manage Groups page, click the Project Managers link.  Add all of your project managers to this security group and then click the OK button.  This will make your PMs eligible to become project Owners.

Next, open the project for editing from the Project Center page in PWA.  Click the Owner pick list button.  You should now see your PMs on the list.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Eric A. Rupp Monday, July 13, 2020 5:58 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2020 3:59 PM
  • Dale, thank you that worked.

As a follow up, is there any way to make this work in SharePoint Perimssion Mode? (just heading off the eventual question from management)

Monday, July 13, 2020 4:53 PM
  • Eric --

Project Permission Mode gives you the granularity of permissions control that you are seeking, which is why my solution worked for you.  I have never recommended that anyone use SharePoint Permission Mode, nor have any of my colleagues.  So, tell your management that SharePoint Permission Mode does not give you the permissions control you need in Project Online.

Also, if my reply answered your question, would you kindly mark it as the answer?  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 13, 2020 5:31 PM
  • Thank you very much for the solution and the details.
    Monday, July 13, 2020 5:59 PM
  • Hi if you are trying to manage a multi pwa instance setup i.e. PWA, PMO, PWADev you should check out PSMigrator.com its a pretty cool tool to handle moving custom fields views resources etc from one place to the next...

Don Landry

Thursday, July 16, 2020 11:00 AM