none
document XML Word (monDoc.xml) not open with Word RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with my Windows 7's configuration.

I create a document with Word 2007 and save it with document XML Word Format (.xml)

in my computer, when i search to open directly (double click) this document, the document is open with my XML editor, and not Microsoft Word

I verify if my XML document contains <?mso-application progid="Word.Document"?>, it's OK, fortunately !

In other computer, in Windows XP SP3, the icon's file is word icon, despite extension file is .XML, not in my Windows 7 computer !

In other computer, an XML file without <?mso-application progid="Word.Document"?> are icon's file XML, it's OK

why, in my computer, the XML preprocessing instruction <?mso-application progid="Word.Document"?> is not interpreted ?

how it is possible to correct this problem and to obtain icon word when preprocessing instruction <?mso-application progid="Word.Document"?> is available on my XML file and open file with Word. And obtain XML icon and open XML file in XML editor otherwise ? it's a normaly process in Windows XP...

Thank you for your help.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi christopheNS,

To open a file in Word by double click, you need to change “Open with” property of *.xml file.

By the way, this forum is used to discuss Office Development questions such as VBA, VSTO and OpenXML SDK. For Office product related questions, I suggest you posting them to Microsoft Office Forum.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi christopheNS,

To open a file in Word by double click, you need to change “Open with” property of *.xml file.

By the way, this forum is used to discuss Office Development questions such as VBA, VSTO and OpenXML SDK. For Office product related questions, I suggest you posting them to Microsoft Office Forum.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Did you check the registry setting for xml on your machine.

It should be

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml = "xmlfile"

as in the below screenshot

This launches a separate program that checks the progid in your xml file and thus what application to use to open your XML.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:40 AM