Azure Kanban Board RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My name is Anil Pillai and I work with in a Agile environment along with Scrum team. I also manage the Support side of the project where my team takes care of the support tickets that comes through and various other adhoc and priority tasks on a day to day basis and these tasks are not tagged to the Scrum team that they perform as part of the Sprint.

We manage all the support related activities on teams by creating cards and assigning it to individual team members. We have various buckets like Incoming, In Progress, On Hold and Completed and as the cards progresses, we keep moving it from one bucket to another. These activities are independent to any Sprint.

I was trying to set the same on Azure Boards and having the same flow but I unable to create a un-parented Task on Azure Boards.

From what I have read so far, its by design that we cannot create un-parented tasks and it has to be either linked to any Story, Epic or Issue.

My primary requirement is that I should be able to create individual tasks to track my support activities and progress.

Kindly suggest if there is a way how I can achieve this functionality in Azure Board, irrespective of Sprints, Story, Epic or Issue.

Thanks and Regards

Anil

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 5:40 AM

All replies

• The questions seems more on Azure devops for managing sprints, backlogs etc 

Please try posting it here - 

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/21/index.html

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 1:55 PM
  • Hi Anil,

The best suggestion I have is create a "Customer Reported Issues" feature bucket. Track bug items as part of requirements and add those bugs to that feature.

The feature would simply remain "New" or "Active" for all eternity. That way, bugs can be tracked along with the sprint.

I know Jira doesn't have this limitation but hopefully, that's an effective workaround. Also, I would encourage submitting feedback as Vasibhav suggested.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Vaibhav, but my query is not related to Sprints or Backlogs. Its is purely on the Support Kanban Board.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:07 AM
  • Thanks RyanHill for the reply. I will try this option and see if that solves my purpose. But like I said, its not always a bug because these support tasks are a mix of some analysis on specific incidents, Change Requests, Work Orders, Renewing SSL Certificates and Apple Developer Accounts, VIP Request,  Support fixing issues with iPad and iPhone (not hardware related), Invoicing, Application Support etc.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:10 AM
  • Thanks RyanHill for the reply. I will try this option and see if that solves my purpose. But like I said, its not always a bug because these support tasks are a mix of incidents, Change Requests, Work Orders, Renewing SSL Certificates and Apple Developer Accounts, VIP Request,  Support fixing issues with iPad and iPhone (not hardware related), Invoicing, Application Support etc.
    I understand. You can still have an epic or feature that captures all these works items that can have their parent relationship changed to something more meaningful e.g. a Change Request that will be linked to an effective user story. Or, said change request can be converted into a traditional user story.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:15 AM
  • Hi RyanHill,

I don't see the option as "Working With Bugs" on my board setting. Do I need to enable anything else to see this option? Kindly suggest.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:53 AM
  • Hi RyanHill, 

Any update on how to get this option (Working with bugs) enabled?

Thanks and Regards

Anil

Monday, May 25, 2020 12:16 AM
  • Hi Anil,

Make sure you are in the Project Administrators Group as indicated https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/organizations/settings/show-bugs-on-backlog?view=azure-devops#prerequisites. Also, I'm not 100% certain but make sure your project process is configured for Agile Scrum and CMMI.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 12:28 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

As you see below, I am already the Project Administrator for my project, but still I am not able to see the "Working with Bugs" option.

And where do I need to set the Project Process to Agile Scrum or CMMI?

Thanks and Regards

Anil

Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:30 AM
  • Hi Anil,

You can find it under Project Settings. Click the Project Settings button (with the gear icon) on the bottom left. Then click Project Configuration under Boards and that will show you what process your project is.

Now here's the rub. If your project is not configured for Agile, I'm not exactly sure how you can convert it short of creating a brand new project.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Friday, May 29, 2020 5:46 PM
  • I have tried the above way as well but unfortunately is not working for me.

Thanks Ryan for your time and suggestions.

Have a great day.

Regards

Anil

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:52 AM
  • I have tried the above way as well but unfortunately is not working for me.

Thanks Ryan for your time and suggestions.

Have a great day.

Regards

Anil

Sorry to hear that Anil. I advise posting your question over on Azure DevOps Questions where one of our engineers and community might be able to better assist.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Sunday, June 7, 2020 5:36 PM