none
SharePoint 2010 Library Alert RRS feed

• Question

• I created an Alert on a Document Library that sends out an email to some end users when a user uploads a document. But if I have to add or remove users I need to re-create the alert. I cannot modify the Alert since I don't see current users list when I click on Manage Alert. Is there a workaround? I want to avoid re-creating the Alert.

Thanks!

Mayank

Monday, February 2, 2015 9:10 PM

Answers

• Goto site settings -> user alert (under Site Administration) -> select user's name for their alert. If user dont appear in this drop down, means no alert subscribed.

Url - <SiteUrl>/_layouts/15/sitesubs.aspx

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

• Marked as answer by Mayank Shyam Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Mayank,

You can Capture and modify the alert using Alert handlers provided in SharePoint. there are 2 ways either you can directly customize the template or you can deploy your custom alert handler and you can get the users list from your configuration (may be xml file or any list or property bag up to you)

here are the few links which can be used.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdeveloperdocs/archive/2007/12/14/how-to-customizing-alert-emails-using-ialertnotificationhandler.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/595044/Capturing-and-Modifying-SharePoint-Alerts-through

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:49 AM
  • Goto site settings -> user alert (under Site Administration) -> select user's name for their alert. If user dont appear in this drop down, means no alert subscribed.

Url - <SiteUrl>/_layouts/15/sitesubs.aspx

• Marked as answer by Mayank Shyam Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 2:11 AM
  • Hi Mayank,

I understand you want some way to manage alert recipients easily.

Firtstly I thought sending alert to a group might resolve your issue. If we can send alerts to a group, then we just need to add or remove users from the groups per your situation. However, we cannot directly add distribution group to alerts, and message can only be sent to distribution group instead of security group.

As workaround, you can refer to MJams in the thread below:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/7941/send-e-mail-alerts-to-distribution-groups-sharepoint-2010

During my test, we need to contact both AD and Exchange administrator to manage distribution group and mail flow for us.

From SharePoint side, I'd suggest you create a simple workflow to send email notification to SharePoint group and it will expand to indivisual members in the SharePoint group.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Rebecca Tu Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by SekThang Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:33 AM