none
Cannot Start Profile Synchronization Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

Scratching my head on this one... running SharePoint 2013 (v.15.0.5119.1000) on premise with SQL Server 2012.

After running repair SQL Server installation from Control panel for a log issue I had, the user profile sync in SharePoint stopped working. When I click 'Start Profile Synchronization' in the section 'Manage Profile Service: User Profile Service Application', this message is displayed:

Cannot navigate to the requested page because User Profile Synchronization service is not running. Please start the User Profile Synchronization service before creating a connection.

On the server, both Forefront Identity Manager services are disabled. I understand SharePoint starts these - might be wrong.

When logged in under the SharePoint service account, when I click 'User Profile Administration' under 'Resources', I get the message, 'Sorry, this site hasn't been shared with you'.

Under 'Manage Service Applications' - User Profile Service Application - I have added the appropriate administrators and permissions.

I have delete and re-created the user profile application - this didn't help.

Event Viewer shows errors:

Event 6398: 

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.LMTRepopulationJob (ID 7a3d9c15-ec3a-4a15-9b05-dc6b8822ad3c) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.IsRepopulationNeeded: Connection to the server terminated,check if the cache host(s) is running .

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.LMTRepopulationJob (ID 8ca42b5e-0925-4ac7-9a51-96429e6319fd) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.BulkLMTUpdate: Region not found..

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.LMTRepopulationJob (ID 6ae537c4-4366-4bb7-8c64-48ee9ca52a39) threw an exception. More information is included below.

System.ServiceModel.ProtocolException

Any ideas folks? 

Thanks.

Friday, November 29, 2019 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hi SharePundit,

To troubleshoot this issue, you can follow the following steps:

1.Make sure you perform an iis reset or restart the Central Admin App Pool after the UPSS is started if CA and the UPSS are on the same server.

Powershell for restarting central admin w/o iis reset :

http://iedaddy.com/2011/04/iisreset-not-required-after-starting-user-profile-sync-service/

2.Check the status of the User Profile Syncronization Service on the Services on Server Page in Central Admin: http://centralAdminURL:port/_admin/Server.aspx

If the UPSA is stuck on starting, and not stopping (or starting), you can force stop the service using PowerShell:

>Get-SPServiceInstance -Server "Servername"

>Stop-SPServiceInstance -Identity "GUID of Service"

Restart the service.

3.Try restarting the SharePoint Timer Service.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, December 2, 2019 6:12 AM
  • Hi Itch Sun,

Unfortunately, I still have the issue. Even on Manage services on server page, I can click Start on the User Profile Synchronization Service, it will say Starting and eventhually change to Stopped. Are there permissions in SQL Server I need to check?

Monday, December 2, 2019 5:19 PM
  • Hi

May I know if you have tried to reboot all SharePoint servers after repairing SQL installation? just think if any connection or syncing issue occurred.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Hi

I am checking your situation here.

Any progress on your troubleshooting?

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

Kindly follow steps mentioned in below article, this might help fix the issue.

https://swapnilkh.wordpress.com/troubleshooting-steps-for-user-profile-sync-service-stuck-on-starting-mode/

Thursday, December 5, 2019 9:43 AM