SQL multiple instances on Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Is it possible to have multiple instances of SQL server installed in Azure - IaaS model? Is there any limitations on it? Please suggest. Thanks! 

Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:26 AM

All replies

• Hello!

Is it possible to have multiple instances of SQL server installed in Azure - IaaS model? Is there any limitations on it? Please suggest. Thanks! 

Yes, You can install multiple SQL Server instances in the same Virtual Machine, same as in physical machine.

Recommendation: If you install different version of SQL Server on the same machine, then I found it best to install the oldest versions first.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Friday, May 29, 2020 4:22 AM
  • Hello!

Yes, but have a look at below. Reference - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/virtual-machines/windows/frequently-asked-questions-faq

Can I install a second instance of SQL Server on the same VM? Can I change installed features of the default instance?

Yes. The SQL Server installation media is located in a folder on the C drive. Run Setup.exe from that location to add new SQL Server instances or to change other installed features of SQL Server on the machine. Note that some features, such as Automated Backup, Automated Patching, and Azure Key Vault Integration, only operate against the default instance, or a named instance that was configured properly

If the response helped, do "Mark as answer" and upvote it
    - Vaibhav

Friday, May 29, 2020 1:22 PM