Windows Live messenger constantly disconnecting

Question

• Hello there,

Well my windows live messenger just keeps on disconnecting and reconnecting by itself, which is quite annoying when you're using audio or webcam... The thing is that I get no error message, it just disconnects me, period. My internet is fully functionnal and I haven't noticed anything weird with it. My firewall has no problems either, in fact everything is the same as it was before this problem started. I ran several virus scans without any results, reinstalled messenger several times, even tried with the standard and older windows messenger, which disconnected too, but a lot less frequently. I would like to get some help about this, if such a problem can be solved.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:38 PM

Answers

• Have you tried checking your Live group memberships? I had exactly the same problem of Live Messenger 2009 signing in, showing my contacts status then disconnecting - but only when connected to the company network (either directly or through VPN). From suggestions on other forums, I tried using my son's Live ID to sign in with the same result, then I tried using my youngest daughter's Live ID (which I have severely restricted with various bits and pieces) - the connection stayed UP!!!
    After looking into this further, I realised that some time ago I had accepted an invitation from my son to join a Live Group he had set up for the family (his younger sister hadn't been able to accept the invitation because of the all the restrictions I had on her account).
    I went into the Group options and left the group and Hey Presto! my Messenger now stays connected even within the company network.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:06 PM

All replies

•  

Can't anyone help me with this matter?
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:07 AM
  • Do you have running any spywares or firewalls like AVG spyware?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:43 AM
  • This happended with a windows update, no spyware or firewall was installed, and it happends only when connected to a company network (not at home). Microsoft should be aware of this by now.

• Proposed as answer by jomarjo Friday, April 16, 2010 12:02 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 3:44 PM
  • it has been happining for a while i went to beta 8.5 it didnt help, so i went back to 8.1 still does it... i hate it im going to back to trillian if it isnt fixed very soon...

• Proposed as answer by jomarjo Friday, April 16, 2010 12:02 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 7:53 PM
  •  

Same thing is happening for me from the Live messenger. It always prompts me to upgrade to Windows live and when i dont upgrade, it does not allow me to login to MSN. If I update then that will get disconnected most frequently. This happens always when we keep talking to our clients from office and it is the most irretating thing for them as well as for me.

Please help if anyone can do.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:28 AM
  •  

Same thing here too.  I've just found out that the disconnects also happens when using Web Messenger.

I am absolutely sure that its only happens in my office network since using the same laptop at home does not cause a problem.

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 3:36 AM
  • I had WLM disconnect every couple minutes for several weeks. Updated the firmware on trendnet router, still disconnects. I entered the correct time and date on the router. Two days no disconnection problem. Worth a try!
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:16 AM
  • Hey guys,

I have exactly the same problem with my MSN messenger on Windows Vista, got any clue how to fix this annoyance? Please tell me!

Thanks in advance.
    • Proposed as answer by trout_bob Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:10 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:28 AM
  • huh!

i thaught i would b propagating to solution to this prob

........i m facing the sam problem

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:36 AM
  • I have one location doing this with a Sonicwall firewall.  If you take a laptop to this location it constantly disconnects.  You take the same laptop elsewhere and it has no problem.  Have been searching for a solution for a long time. 

Friday, March 14, 2008 10:24 PM
  •  On the configuration section of your connection mark Never Dial a Connection Apply changes and it would stop. It worked perfect for me
    Friday, March 6, 2009 4:28 AM
  • Tried what was mentioned above.  Saw that I had always had it checked off, and I've constantly been having this problem.

I'm using a brand new computer, with pretty good stats if I say so myself, with Vista 64 bit.  I'm using Windows Live Messenger 2009 with Windows Live Plus!  Add-on.  I've had this constant disconnecting thing going on since the first day I downloaded it.  I've tried everything; altering options, uninstalling, reinstalling, clearing Temp folder cache, messed with my router and my firewall, but absolutely nothing seems to be working.  It disconnects once every 5 minutes, and sometimes it doesn't even reconnect again, so I'm forced to use a different IM software.  This is extremely aggravating and after looking at and trying other people's solutions nothing has worked.  I'm convinced that this is a problem with the WLM software itself and the bad server with Microsoft.  I'll be switching to a different IM service as of tonight.  I can't deal with the frustration of the server issues.
    • Edited by Stryke-kun Friday, June 19, 2009 1:01 AM adding
    Friday, June 19, 2009 12:58 AM
  • This problem has been going on since 2007 and there is no fix from Microsoft.  Mind boggling customer support and people wonder why everyone hates Microsoft.  I started having the problem since my most recent live messenger upgrade to version 14.  It only happens when I'm on my company network or VPN.  Same laptop works fine at home.  Any workarounds or a fix yet?  
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:04 PM
  • One of my two accounts also keeps disconnecting. I have tried this on 4 different computers in two different locations and with two different versions. One of the two accounts is completely stable, but the other one disconnects constantly.

In my case there is no reason to suspect network-problems or platform-problems therefore. It is a specific problem related to one particular account.

It feels like someone on the Internet is purposefully targetting my account, but that might be my paranoia speaking. Another explanation would be some setting in my profile of that particular account that is doing something with the connection.

Is there anyone here who has found a solution to this particular problem?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:52 AM
  • Hi guys,

I had a similar problem with one of my laptops but not the other.

I found that if I deleted my temporary internet files the problem disappeared.........may be relevant may not, but worth a try for the peace it brings
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:13 PM
  • Have you tried checking your Live group memberships? I had exactly the same problem of Live Messenger 2009 signing in, showing my contacts status then disconnecting - but only when connected to the company network (either directly or through VPN). From suggestions on other forums, I tried using my son's Live ID to sign in with the same result, then I tried using my youngest daughter's Live ID (which I have severely restricted with various bits and pieces) - the connection stayed UP!!!
    After looking into this further, I realised that some time ago I had accepted an invitation from my son to join a Live Group he had set up for the family (his younger sister hadn't been able to accept the invitation because of the all the restrictions I had on her account).
    I went into the Group options and left the group and Hey Presto! my Messenger now stays connected even within the company network.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:06 PM
  • hey i have your same problem do u get a solution?
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:48 AM
  • One of my two accounts also keeps disconnecting. I have tried this on 4 different computers in two different locations and with two different versions. One of the two accounts is completely stable, but the other one disconnects constantly.

In my case there is no reason to suspect network-problems or platform-problems therefore. It is a specific problem related to one particular account.

It feels like someone on the Internet is purposefully targetting my account, but that might be my paranoia speaking. Another explanation would be some setting in my profile of that particular account that is doing something with the connection.

Is there anyone here who has found a solution to this particular problem?
    hey i have the same problem do u get a solution???
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 6:19 PM
  • I have the same problem, but I am doing dual boot on my computer. the issue is just  caused on Vista 64 bits, not on 32 bits.

both have the lastest updates.

Note when I delete all temp files (conversation and contact list) everything is fine for the next boot. but I don´t want to delete the corrupted contact list everytime I want to start messenger. its a nightmare.
    Gilberto H.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 1:46 PM
    • I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.
    • I tried deleting contact list and nothing else works.
    • Using another account on the same computer the problem does not appear. It only happens with MY account.

THERE MUST BE A SOLUTION. 

Does anyone know the answer, don't windows support visit these pages.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:58 PM
  • I tried this solution and it worked for me also.  Remove yourself from groups and delete any that you have created. . I'm in an office environment as well, and our WLM was working fine until about a week ago.  I suspect some corporate network setting changed which is causing the problem.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:12 PM
  • I had the same problem. Removing myself from the group contacts worked! I tried everything else too.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Same problem here! OMG. It has been 3 weeks this damn disconnecting issue is haunting me. The windows live team doen't seem to bother.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:50 PM
  • you need to disconnect fromyour messenger at any other machine.

for example if you left ur messenger connected at the office, when you connect at home, it will keep the office connection alive and it will keep disconnecting you from the connection at home.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 1:45 PM

for example if you left ur messenger connected at the office, when you connect at home, it will keep the office connection alive and it will keep disconnecting you from the connection at home.

Hope this helps someone.

This solution worked for me. I didn't have to remove myself from all groups, only a recent one that I had created. I also had to exit and restart Messenger for the group to disappear from the contact list before it allowed me to remain Online.

THANK YOU. This has been driving me crazy for weeks.

Monday, October 5, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Yes, it helped me a lot.

I had the same problem and removed my groups, and the problem is solved.

Thanks!

Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Yes, it helped me a lot.

I had the same problem and removed my groups, and the problem is solved.

Thanks!

OK, I deleted my groups, even though I hadn't anyone in groups, and it appeared to solve the problem.
    Now, how to solve the awful bad sound quality with the new messenger live.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:26 PM
  • This works for me, only removing the groups created long time ago.

weird solution, but in fact, it is a solution.
    Gilberto H.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:29 PM
  •  

Man, I've been using MSN and WLM then for more than 6 years and I'm familiar with all its issues and problems, been suffering from the same issue since a whole month, I tried everything I could, everything I could think of and all the posts I read in the net and the ones I have from my friends, non works, when I read your post it sounds irrelative at the first moment, then I said to myself what will I loss if I give it a shot, and much to my surprise, it worked!!! And even though I cannot find a logical explanation to that or even a reasonable justification but I just wanted to thank you a lot for posting your experience, man you saved me

Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:40 PM
  • This works like a charm!!!!!!!! Thanks. I left from the group and the msgr stays connected
    Friday, November 6, 2009 2:23 PM
  • hey guys

i have exactly the same problem. It started about a couple of weeks ago for me while i was still on 8.5
    a couple of days ago microsoft forced to to update to wlm 2009 so i thought maybe these problems will be fixed with the update

BUT THEY ARE NOT

further more: i tried every possible thing u guys mentioned.

1. i never even have the groups thing visible and i checked whether or not i had joined any (by mistake or whatnot) but there were 0/0 items in that section
    2. i have updated firmware and i have allowed wlm to claim ANY port it wishes to connect to the internet
    3. i tried deleting the temp internet files (as it so happens i am quite proficient when it comes to pc's so i do cleanups, scans and defrags every week) and again it still doesnt work
    4. i tried technical support from microsoft...but the calls fall on deaf ears it seems
    5. im running the pc at home, no office network nothing

and also why did this "disconection syndrome" start only since the beginning of oct or so...i had NO problems at all before this

any other solutions to this issue?
    im willing to try pretty much anything

PS. before i updated to wlm 2009 i had the registry cleaned as well...just in case

thank you in advance for ANY help whatsoever

Saturday, November 7, 2009 9:57 AM
  • How do you remove your self from the groups? As in do i do it from the messenger directly or?

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, November 9, 2009 12:45 PM
  • Yes, you have to open Messenger. Go to Heading "Contacts"....and click on "Delete a Category"...then select "Groups"

That's it!
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:09 PM
  •  

My friend, you can do it either from your Hotmail and/or Windows Live Mail page, just go to MORE on the main tab on the top head of the page, chose MORE and then GROUPS and then delete the groups from there and that wont delete your contacts inside the groups you will delete, or you can do that directly from your WLM, on the main TABS chose CONTACTS, then chose DELETE CATIGORY and do it from there, Good Luck

Monday, November 9, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Getting rid of my groups worked for me too.  One thing to note:  I was able to log in without it disconnecting me so long as my status was set to "Unavailable" before I attempted to log in.  Anything else would put me in the log off/connect loop.  That allowed me to go in and remove the group I had setup.

Hope that helps...
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:25 PM
  • hey guys

i have exactly the same problem. It started about a couple of weeks ago for me while i was still on 8.5
    a couple of days ago microsoft forced to to update to wlm 2009 so i thought maybe these problems will be fixed with the update

BUT THEY ARE NOT

further more: i tried every possible thing u guys mentioned.

1. i never even have the groups thing visible and i checked whether or not i had joined any (by mistake or whatnot) but there were 0/0 items in that section
    2. i have updated firmware and i have allowed wlm to claim ANY port it wishes to connect to the internet
    3. i tried deleting the temp internet files (as it so happens i am quite proficient when it comes to pc's so i do cleanups, scans and defrags every week) and again it still doesnt work
    4. i tried technical support from microsoft...but the calls fall on deaf ears it seems
    5. im running the pc at home, no office network nothing

and also why did this "disconection syndrome" start only since the beginning of oct or so...i had NO problems at all before this

any other solutions to this issue?
    im willing to try pretty much anything

PS. before i updated to wlm 2009 i had the registry cleaned as well...just in case

thank you in advance for ANY help whatsoever

Thank you for the nice posting, anyways I have the same problem as urs and sadly no solution worked... And the nice thing after failing to log in my brother uses the same computer and the same program to log in normally to his account with no problems what so ever... any thing guys is really more than welcomed... thank you alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hello everybody,

After formatting my laptop for the fourth time ( and losing all of my data in the process) I realized what the problem was.

As you know Windows Live Messenger 9 has the ability to let you be logged in several PCs at the same time.  If you by any chance when when using any other PC checked the option "Sign me out of all other places when I sign in to Messenger" you will have this problem of connecting/disconnecting in the other PC.

In my case i had that option checked at work and the connecting/disconnecting was happening at home
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:58 PM
  • My girlfriend was having the disconnect problem, as it was saying she was logged in elsewhere. After changing her password it still happened. So we turned the option "sign me out of all other places" to "OFF", and it was showing several places as signed in, if you click on sign out from the icon in your system tray, it will show you all the places you use. The msn.ca homepage has an "applet" that signs you into messenger when you're on it, causing the multiple logins, I believe the hotmail page does it to, but I stopped searching for the cause once I was sure it wasn't someone hijacking her account. 

Now if someone can tell me how to remove the messenger applet, I tried by using the "my msn" and removing it, but it still shows up on her home page. 

• Proposed as answer by Riddleson Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:08 PM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Is there anymore information about this problem? I have never had the option On of signing me out of other locations and I am not nor have ever been a member of any Live groups. This problem just started for me last night and WLM will not stay signed on for more than maybe 5 seconds before it signs me right back out again, but I can sign into it through web interfaces such as Hotmail or using Meebo. This is extremely frustrating!
    Friday, January 1, 2010 6:47 PM
  • How to you add or remove groups?I have this problem, but Idk if I'm in any groups or not, but from what I hear removing them fixes it, so how do you remove or leave groups?
    • Proposed as answer by adrilau Monday, January 11, 2010 3:34 PM
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 2:21 AM
  • You have to leave and delete the groups from your account.  Go to your email and you will see an the GROUPS option.  From there you have to delete the groups.  Yo will not be able to delete groups from Live Messenger client.  Hope this helps.  It worked for me.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:36 PM
  • YOU ARE SO CORRECT -- "mind boggling customer support" -- I was forced to install Windows Live Messenger 2009 -- it will not keep me logged in -- I constantly get logged out and have to click the error message to log back in. I called Windows support and MSN support -- neither could help -- said "that WLM was not a Windows product and that they provided no support for third party software" -- I asked how can it have the Windows name if it was not a Windows product - the useless customer service guy said "it has the name but a third party company was paid to develop it." I have tried to follow every confusing link on the WLM support page but have had no success. I will say that MAC is on the way into my house. My daughter's hard drive died on her HP and instead of replacing it with another, I am buying her a MAC. My desktop is in need of replacing - guess what? That will leave two more Windows PC's in my house...when they die, they will not be replaced with anything running Windows. I am so tired of spending hours and hours on the phone for tech support...BTW, if anyone has a fix for my problem, please advise. Thanks!
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:22 AM
  • I have 32 and yes it does occur...
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:23 AM
  • My girlfriend was having the disconnect problem, as it was saying she was logged in elsewhere. After changing her password it still happened. So we turned the option "sign me out of all other places" to "OFF", and it was showing several places as signed in, if you click on sign out from the icon in your system tray, it will show you all the places you use. The msn.ca homepage has an "applet" that signs you into messenger when you're on it, causing the multiple logins, I believe the hotmail page does it to, but I stopped searching for the cause once I was sure it wasn't someone hijacking her account. 

Now if someone can tell me how to remove the messenger applet, I tried by using the "my msn" and removing it, but it still shows up on her home page. 

This fixed the problem for me.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Any official word on what's causing the disconnects for groups? We kind of need them, but it still forces a disconnect for one of our members. I know this topic is fairly old originally, but the latest post is current and the group issue is on going.

As I said before, we need the groups - so one of our LMC members having issues is kind of troubling.

「Misaki」 says (12:13 PM):
    *Ace-bu disconnect right on time
    *Usually it's in intervals of 5 minutes
    *5, 10, 15, ect.

「Bugy」 says (12:14 PM):
    *fXD
    *yui singing bad words o.o

Ace-bu says (12:16 PM):
    *i hate msn so much
    *ritsu6

Ace-bu says (12:17 PM):
    *and i dont know how to fix this

「Misaki」 says (12:17 PM):
    *Did you ever determine if it was firewall or not?

No answer yet from him on the firewall, but we'll see soon I suppose.

Edit: Seems disabling the firewall seems to help. Went a half-hour without one already. Obviously, the firewall is needed too - so any direction to the solution would be helpful. I'm not sure exactly what's being blocked.

• Edited by Misaki Ki Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:54 PM Response has a S!
    • Proposed as answer by Mitchal Friday, January 29, 2010 12:26 AM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Hi Misaki,
    I think the Grouping is going to be phased out. I was having the issue when our company decided to start using Messenger as the main IM solution. When i added a group called "company name" i was not able to stay logged in any longer than about 5 seconds. The strange thing is that this was only on a company network (when i VPN'd through to my home machine and signed in it was stable.) and a few users here and there were stable aswell.

My solution?
    for each user experiencing the issue i signed in and during the 5 seconds that i was able to sign in i quickly right clicked on the added group and selected "leave group" this took me to a windows live page in my browser in which i had to log in as the user and delete the group.
    Once that was done i signed in to messenger as the user and it was stable again.

Like you i also needed to be able to have groups, i decided to create a category . A message came up saying something along the lines of "Catagory is the same as groups in the old versions of messenger" this would indicate that it would share the same capabilities.

I have had stable use of Messenger since and have been able to create categories with all company contacts in it.

I hope this helps

Mitch

Friday, January 29, 2010 12:38 AM
  • We need the groups actually, categories are nice and needed but we still need the groups. See the image:

We were messing around at the time, so ignore our statuses, and the three Kammys lol. I appreciate the effort though, but it's not a solution that'll work for us.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 3:04 AM
  • firewall issue- check to make sure messenger is an exception....that's it thats all. problem fixed!!!!
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 5:02 AM
  • firewall issue- check to make sure messenger is an exception....that's it thats all. problem fixed!!!!
    Turns out that wasn't it - it only appeared to be initially. It's a group issue, for whatever reason. Also, we're currently having another issue with groups appearing offline for a certain person or two.

There is almost no documentation on groups, and support for it can be a bit hard to find.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:32 AM
  • I think someone below noted that removing groups from Windows Live Messenger fixes this problem.  I had this very same problem on my laptop at work and I did in fact add a group to my messenger in error.  You have to log on Windows Live Messenger and very quickly right click on groups and delete the groups that are there.  I don't know why this causes and an error but the fix does work.  I don't think this is Company's firewall causing this...I just think Microsoft is going to have to fix this bug.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:36 PM
  • Turns out the person had an anti-virus running, or whatever else security, that I wasn't aware of - that was the issue I believe. Wish I could've gotten a chance to look at WLM's log (wasn't enabled for him), but oh well.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:40 AM
  • This has fixed my problem as well and my girlfriend's and brother's problem.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Well, I Have These Same Problems, I Had More The Problem With Msn Plus or Windows Live Plus, What ever its called, After i found out it was a virus and all, i had gotten rid of it and now am using 7 32-bit with Windows Live Messenger and after about a 5 to 6 monthes the disconnecting continued from Xp to 7 but it happens rarely sometimes or it happens alot.

Also i had went into "Options" then to layout and de-checked "Show Groups" and so far i haven't been disconnected,
    • Proposed as answer by avoker Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:31 AM
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Hello everybody,

Had the same problem at my office network and didn't have it at home. In our case in was a firewall problem. Had to open the TCP 1863 port to get rid of the problem. The strange thing is that the problem only occurred with one user.

Maybe it helps someone.

Regards,

Andre

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:20 AM
  • I aso had a disconnect problem. It only happens when I'm using my 3G usb adapter for internet access. I am pretty sure it's because my ISP sets the default gateway to 0.0.0.0  (it's a PPP connection). I gave up on messenger and started using meebo.com but it's not as easy to use. I eventually managed to get live messenger to stay connected as long as I set my status to "Appear Offline". Very strange indeed. Maybe it will help someone out. I'm using messenger version 14.0.8089.726 on Windows 7/x64

Monday, March 8, 2010 3:33 AM
  • Hm, the group thing didnt work for me.

Even after a reinstall of entire system (caused by other problems), the problem persistet.

Scenario:

old messenger works fine
    new messenger keeps disconnecting
    new messenger works fine at home, just not at work.
    removed all groups, unchecked "show groups"
    if i choose appear as offline it would log in fine, could even send messages.

My solution, your milage may vary:

set status to "Appear offline", otherwise i couldnt get to the configuration area.

Choose "Functions"
    Choose "Settings"
    Choose "Protection of personal informations"
    Block ALL, block know users (list of allowed persons"

tjek every thing looks ok, try send simple message to someone.
    change online status from "Appear offline" to "Online".

You can now add people one or more at a time to see if they cause problems. I have excluded a few contacts (that i dont need to contact while at work).

And for some weird reason it appears to work.

I havent tried to reboot yet, so the problem may resurface.

Reason why this may work:

Its likely that i have the check log me out when connected at home, just dont rembember doing it.
    I have read some where that messenger communicates with a MS server regarding status etc, i may have circumventet this, and thus the status problem, by being logged with status "appear offline" and sending a message, and then changing status.

I dont have more time to analyse on this if it works on my work computer.

Just thought i would share the knowledge obtained.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Try Setting the Compatibility to Vista or Vista (SP1 or SP2) It puts it from SP1 Or lower in the tray at the right corner of the toolbar, but the disconnecting dropped alot, it came back  recently, but still hardly does anymore
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:09 PM
  • I'm still a bit curious about this, anyone happen to take any logs of this?
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:49 AM
  • What worked for me was to check the box under options-sign in-  Sign me out of all other places when I sign in to messenger..
    • Proposed as answer by Riddleson Monday, April 19, 2010 4:03 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Same. Turns out the disconnects were becuase the msn webpage(which is my homepage) autimaticaly signs me into its msn webmessenger which would kick me out of other locations as per the setting. Aswell as when i would check my hotmail email would also sign me into webmessenger. But I actualy find being able to sign in from multiple locations quite handy anyways.

Monday, April 19, 2010 4:03 PM
  • I'm still having this constant disconnect problem.
    - I've made sure that my firewall is letting WLM through.
    - Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.
    - I can't leave my groups because it's essential to work [nor do I believe that this is in any way the problem for me because they have worked well for a long time now.]
    - Tried both checking and un-checking the sign out of all other places when signed into messenger thing.
    - I actually installed Win7 64-bit today [going from Vista 64] in hopes that WLM will work properly on Win7 because I had problems signing in + adding contacts when I was using WLM on Vista.

I'm really not sure what the problem is with my WLM but it's getting very irritating. Anyone else still having issues after trying all of the mentioned options in the replies to this?

Monday, April 19, 2010 9:45 PM
  • I'm having this annoying disconnecting problem as well, though in addition i'm experiencing problems with messages not being delivered.  At first i thought it might just be a bad internet connection, but after 5 days its still the same.

Like many others i've re-installed messenger, disabled my firewall/changed the settings etc and nothing.

I hope someone has a solution to this problem soon.

Monday, April 26, 2010 6:22 PM
  • For some reason mine seems to be working again... it started working again yesterday after I neglected it and switched to Digsby for a while. It was still a bit glitchy at first, but right now it's still connected and seems alright. It's been exactly one week, so perhaps it just needs some time?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:11 PM
  • ..same  problem ,but a have  solution,change youre password and it will work again...LoL
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:12 PM
  • This solution worked for me when I had a similar problem:

Your wireless router might be changing channels to steer away from noise in the wireless signal. Every time that it changes channel, your network connectivity is temporarily lost, which kills your connection to the IM server. The auto-channel-change feature will only take a moment. When it completes, your application (IM client) will see that the network connection has been restored, and it will reconnect to the IM server.

In some cases, the router might change channels very frequently (i.e. due to excessive network interference or a malfunction in the router). There is a fix: To test this fix, go into router settings and disable the feature that allows it to change channels automatically, and then manually select a channel from the list (just pick any channel). Save the settings, and make sure the router restarts.

Note: Your Verizon or Comcast "modem" might have a wireless router built in. Otherwise, you are probably using some other brand like Linksys, Netgear or Belkin.

As another test, you should try temporarily disabling your firewalls (software and hardware). Remember, your antivirus software might have a firewall running too.

Good luck! Let us know if this works!

Nick

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:13 PM
  • - Click start
    - Type: cmd
    - Right-click cmd.exe when it appears under Applications
    - Click Run As Administrator
    - Type the following: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
    - Press enter
    Monday, June 14, 2010 5:30 AM
  • I'm not in a Group, so it doesn't change a thing for me.
    Interesting concerning my account: I can't visit my Data Privacy Settings page, which ends with an error message telling me to visit it later...

It doesn't matter what mSN I use, it happens with every messenger that tries to connect to the live network, so I guess the problem starts there...
    Friday, July 30, 2010 1:13 PM
  • OK this is what i did: I opened a tab in my browser and googled ebuddy, then open msn in there, and now my msn is open in both places without disconnecting me, i know is not a permanent solution but, at least i can use it peacefully without the annoying signing out, hope this helps meanwhile to some of you, and lets hope for a better solution.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 3:00 AM
  • Our company clients are seeing this very same issue.  Windows Live Messenger continually disconnects and then reconnects.  I have clients using Trillian and others using WLM Directly.  We also have experienced this issue on XP and Windows 7 PC's.  We have verified that we are not logged into multible sessions( even though you can) and not a member of any group chat session.  We are seeing this issue at multible site locations (different states) and have reports of this doing the same thing while off-site and connected to PUBLIC Wi-Fi.  I am not totally convienced when this started, but I do know it started and has gotten worse this week.  Any assistance will be appreciated?

Randy

Friday, August 6, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Have you tried checking your Live group memberships? I had exactly the same problem of Live Messenger 2009 signing in, showing my contacts status then disconnecting - but only when connected to the company network (either directly or through VPN). From suggestions on other forums, I tried usng my son's Live ID to sign in with the same result, then I tried using my youngest daughter's Live ID (which I have severely restricted with various bits and pieces) - the connection stayed UP!!!
    After looking into this further, I realised that some time ago I had accepted an invitation from my son to join a Live Group he had set up for the family (his younger sister hadn't been able to accept the invitation because of the all the restrictions I had on her account).
    Hope this helps someone.

It's quite useful, Thanks for your effort!
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:14 PM
  • Hello there,

Well my windows live messenger just keeps on disconnecting and reconnecting by itself, which is quite annoying when you're using audio or webcam... The thing is that I get no error message, it just disconnects me, period. My internet is fully functionnal and I haven't noticed anything weird with it. My firewall has no problems either, in fact everything is the same as it was before this problem started. I ran several virus scans without any results, reinstalled messenger several times, even tried with the standard and older windows messenger, which disconnected too, but a lot less frequently. I would like to get some help about this, if such a problem can be solved.

Thanks in advance!

I have thinking what was the problem of this "disconnecting"... So i figured it out that the problem was: you're logged in other places with your Windows Live ID such as hotmail... Try to disconnect your ID from any other places and the problem is solved... (But i still think that this problem sometimes is caused by something else.... So this could solve your problem, but maybe not.)
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Urghh same heree!,

how do you do that group thingg? please helpp!:/

• Proposed as answer by Rick.2000 Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:28 PM
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:25 PM
  • OK.  This gets tricky...  This error is caused by a 'bug' in Groups.  If you don't have any groups defined, then this solution won't help you.

Log into Windows Live Messenger, immidiately click on: File, Status, Appear Offline.  You only have about two or three seconds to do this, so if you don't get it the first time, keep trying.  'Appearing Offline' will allow you to stay connected sothat you can finish the fix.

You need to remove all Groups, but if your situation is like mine, there is no 'Delete Group' option that displays when you right click on the individual group, so...

Right click on the group to be removed, click on 'Leave Group'.  Wait a minute.  A new browser window should appear for Messenger Online with the heading:  Your Name > Groups

Select 'Delete Group' and then verify by clicking 'Yes'.  Repeat this procedure for all Groups.

Close your browser, your original Messenger window, then right click on the Messenger icon in your tray and select 'Exit'.

Wait five minutes and then try launching Messenger again.  It should  be fixed.

Good luck!

Rick

• Proposed as answer by Puk10 Monday, November 15, 2010 9:32 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:39 PM
  • I had no Groups assigned.

I was being signed out by my Blackberry Cell Phone.

Seems the Blackberry version of Messenger is incompatible with multiple sign-ins.

Hope that helps someone.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:33 PM
  • If this doesn't work (staying signed in to get the job doen). loggin to your email via hotmail.com!   click on messenger (it will connect there) Go to CONTACTS----> MANAGE CATEGORIES----> then select all and DELETE . NOTE: this wont remove any contacts and 1 group will stay up and that is FAVORITES! ....worked for me so i hope this helps everyone else cuz it's a real irritating problem!

Good Luck guys

Peace

Monday, November 15, 2010 9:32 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem. I downloaded a freeware app called instant messenger cleaner http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/MSN-Virus-Cleaner-Download-101206.html . It found a malware and cleaned it now messenger is running fine(so far). hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by kultureklash Friday, March 4, 2011 9:31 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Hi

Once you are logged into your router, just disable the UPNP.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:44 AM
  • I had this exact same problem, and it drove me nuts (pirate voice). For me, it ended up being caused by AVG's Anti Spyware and Resident Shield. Technically it does work, you have to give them that. How you ask does it work? It works by disconnecting the internet every time you press a key. That way, nobody can get mad at what you said and hack your terminal. Silence is the loudest word of all?

If you have an antivirus, try disabling the resident shield for a moment, or shut it down all together for 10 minutes and test your MSN connectivity. If MSN starts working, the cure is the problem and not a virus. Godspeed!  :)

- Verbal
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:34 AM