none
ms chart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:

I recently upgraded my VB.NET to version 2019.  In my previous version, I had written an application that used the MS Chart from .Net 3.5 on forms.  However, now my application no longer works and gives an error about the DataVisualization.chart ('System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization.Charting.Chart' is not defined).

On the new version of VB.net (2019), on my toolbox, I do have a chart control, but, still I do get errors.

So, my question is how can I compile my application with the new version of vb.net and not get errors.

Thank you.

Bob

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Karen:

Thanks for your reply.  I tried that and it did not work.  I ended up installing .Net 3.5 and the MS chart for .Net 3.5, and it seems to work now.  However, now, I have another problem, and I was wondering if you may have any ide before posting it as a separate thread.  As I mentioned, now my program works.  However inside the IDE, when I open my forms in the design mode, the cursor is a crosshair with a chart, instead of the default arrow.  This only in the design view on the forms, other controls, etc.  Inside my program (when I run it), the cursor is OK.  Thanks for your help.

Bob

• Marked as answer by booboo_US Sunday, June 2, 2019 7:11 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 3:36 AM

All replies

• Hello Bob,

Try using the following NuGet package https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Chart.Controls/ and before hand remove the current reference for this. If this fails you can always revert back via

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 10:21 PM
  • Hi,

You can see if System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization is missing.If so,add it.

Best Regards,

Alex

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:52 AM
  • Hi Karen:

Thanks for your reply.  I tried that and it did not work.  I ended up installing .Net 3.5 and the MS chart for .Net 3.5, and it seems to work now.  However, now, I have another problem, and I was wondering if you may have any ide before posting it as a separate thread.  As I mentioned, now my program works.  However inside the IDE, when I open my forms in the design mode, the cursor is a crosshair with a chart, instead of the default arrow.  This only in the design view on the forms, other controls, etc.  Inside my program (when I run it), the cursor is OK.  Thanks for your help.

Bob

• Marked as answer by booboo_US Sunday, June 2, 2019 7:11 PM
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 3:36 AM
  • After a reboot, the cursor is now fine.  Thanks all for your help.
    Sunday, June 2, 2019 7:11 PM