none
SP 2010 Workflow (on SP 2013, online) no longer works RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have been trying to get a SP designer workflow (it's a 2010 workflow, used now on our SharePoint online site) to work and it was working months ago when I first wrote it, but not now.

    What I have is a document library that I need a simple reminder workflow for to alert editors and others where an item is in a publishing process. (Yes, I know there are publication workflows ready for this, but these are far more complex than I need.)

    The solution I came upon was to use the "item changed" event to start the workflow, and to have the workflow check one of our custom properties (status). If that property has been changed to a condition that means it's someone else's turn to use the document, they should get an email. This works OK.

    Where it stops working now, for some reason, is on the highlighted "and" condition below. Basically, I need to check to see that an email has or hasn't already been sent, so that every time the item is changed, the users don't get another email. The simple way to do this, suggested somewhere on these fora, was to create a custom field and, upon sending the email, shove a keyword in there. Then, use that as a check to decide whether or not to send the email on the next change. Thus, we should only get one set of emails per step.

    Unfortunately, every time I test this, it refuses to send email if that and condition is in there. If I cut it and try it out, the emails fire. Put it back in, and it won't send any email.

    I'm flummoxed because this did work when I first set it up, even on this sharepoint online site, and now, it doesn't work 99.9% of the time. It did fire one email off properly this week, but I can't get it to do it with anything approaching reliability.

    Am I missing something obvious here? I'm fine re-programming this in a different way with SP designer. I just need it to work again.

    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:57 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    According to your description, my understanding is that the email cannot be sent in the workflow when the condition used and.

    I tested the same scenario per your post in my environment, however the workflow worked fine.

    I recommend to verify the things below:

    1. Add a Log to History List step under the Send an Email action to see if the log can work.
    2. Just use If Current Item:pStatus not equals RfEmailed in the condition to see if the email can be sent.
    3. Change the order of the two conditions and test to see if the email can be sent.
    4. Create a new workflow with the same steps to see fi the workflow can work.

    Best regards.

    Thanks

    Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:56 AM
    Moderator