none
VS 2013 and VS 2017 co-exist RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I wanted to install VS 2017 in one server and VS 2019 in another server where VS 2013  already exists.

Can VS 2013 and VS 2017 Co-exist in the same server?

Can VS 2013 and VS 2019 Co-exist in the same server?

Thanks and Regards,

Gopi Thakur

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:11 PM

All replies

• yes you can install both on the same server but that's not at all a good practice to install anything on the SharePoint Servers. I would say just build a client Machine and install multiple visual studio version on that box.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:42 PM
  • Hi Gopi Thakur.

Yes, you can do that: multiple version of Visual Studio can coexist on the same machine.
    I would recommend you to not install all those software programs on SharePoint servers, unless they're development machines: Visual Studio carries on many software components when it is installed.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:17 PM
  • Hi There,

Thanks for reply.

I have custom application developed using VS2013, C Sharp and SharePoint in the Windows server 2012 R2(development server).

While developing I need to debug this custom application. So in addition to VS2013 if I am installing VS2017 or VS 2019 in development server for upcoming development work and debugging features then is it recommendable or there will be more challenges I need to face.

Thanks & Regards,

Gopi Thakur

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Hi Gopi Thakur,

If you use Visual Studio 2017/2019 to open a solution that was created in Visual Studio 2013, you can later open and modify the solution again in the older version as long as you haven’t implemented any features that are specific to Visual Studio 2017/2019.

And If you try to use Visual Studio 2017/2019 to open a solution that was created in Visual Studio 2013 or an earlier version, you need to modify your projects and files to be compatible with Visual Studio 2017/2019.

For more information:

Installing multiple versions of Visual Studio side-by-side

Project migration and upgrade reference for Visual Studio

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Hi Gopi Thakur,

I’m checking how the things are going on about this issue. Whether the post helps you?

You can mark the post as answer if it helps.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, November 18, 2019 1:26 AM
  • Hi Gopi Thakur,

Is there any progress on this issue?

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Hi Gopi Thakur, 

Thanks for posting in this forum. It will benefit others who meet similar questions. 

Here I will provide a summary of this post for your information.

[VS 2013 and VS 2017 co-exist-Summary]

Situation

====================

SharePoint server 2013

Visual Studio 2013

Question

====================

User want to install VS2017 and VS2019 in the server that VS2013 already exists.

And whether the user will face challenges about using higher version to debug lower version production?

Suggestions

====================

According to Luigi’s reply,we could install multiple versions of visual studio on the same machine.

And it’s not possible to install all those software programs on SharePoint servers, unless they're development machines: Visual Studio carries on many software components when it is installed.

Besides, If we use Visual Studio 2017/2019 to open a solution that was created in Visual Studio 2013, we can later open and modify the solution again in the older version as long as you haven’t implemented any features that are specific to Visual Studio 2017/2019.

And If we try to use Visual Studio 2017/2019 to open a solution that was created in Visual Studio 2013 or an earlier version, we need to modify our projects and files to be compatible with Visual Studio 2017/2019.

References

====================

Installing multiple versions of Visual Studio side-by-side

Project migration and upgrade reference for Visual Studio

Best regards,

Julie

Thursday, December 5, 2019 9:50 AM