none
Can you create two separate tile views for a Promoted Links List RRS feed

• Question

• I have lots of pages on my site where i want the effect of the promoted links list tile view. However, i don't want the same links to show up on every spot i use it. Is there not a way to create separate tile views so you can create filtering conditions? Right now i am stuck having 5 separate lists with 5 items in each because of this limitation. Am i missing something? 

I look forward to your responses.

~Zach

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 2:53 PM

Answers

• I actually just figured this out. If you go to create new view, then choose "Custom View in SharePoint Designer" It will open Designer and ask you for a name for the view. Put the name in and click ok. That new view is somehow defaulted to the tile view format. You can now edit the filtering of that view in SharePoint now just like any other view. Doesn't really make sense why it does that but i am glad it does. 

Hopefully someone else finds this useful.

• Marked as answer by weldingza Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:09 PM

All replies

• I actually just figured this out. If you go to create new view, then choose "Custom View in SharePoint Designer" It will open Designer and ask you for a name for the view. Put the name in and click ok. That new view is somehow defaulted to the tile view format. You can now edit the filtering of that view in SharePoint now just like any other view. Doesn't really make sense why it does that but i am glad it does. 

Hopefully someone else finds this useful.

• Marked as answer by weldingza Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:09 PM
  • There is an easy way to do this.

Add columns to the Promoted Links list.

1. Add a column named Page.
    2. Type in name of the page on which you would like this link to appear.
    3. Add a column named Row.
    4. Create a view filtered by page name and Row. Example: Show only when Page = HomePage AND Row = 1
    5. Create another view filtered by page name and another Row. Example: Show only when Page = HomePage AND Row = 2.
    6. Go the page you would like the links to appear. Edit the Page.
    7. Add Promoted Links app part (still not used to the app thing) and select your view for Row 1
    8. Add another Promoted Links app part and select the view for Row 2.
    9. Lather, Rinse and Repeat.

Tamara Bredemus SharePoint Minion...working up to Maven

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:10 AM
  • Thank you for sharing, this saved my day.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:31 PM
  • Looks obvious however any custom created view is shown in the "default" list format and i cannot find a way to show it in tile format.
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:28 AM
  • Add the list view web part to the page, edit the web part, change the view to the one you want, then set the JS Link property to "/_layouts/15/sp.ui.tileview.js". et viola!
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Hi All,

Zach, thanks for that find, it saved me a lot of time! :)

I just want to add a further find related to this - So it's only the first view you need to create via the "Custom View In SharePoint Designer".

Once one view is created, then you can create subsequent views directly from the browser based on the view Created in SharePoint Designer.  So you navigate to: list --> List Settings --> Create View --> Start from existing view (and select the view you created using SharePoint Designer).  This will create a view that displays the tiles filtered as you wish.

Hope this helps someone.

Shaheen

Thursday, May 5, 2016 11:10 AM
  • did not work for me. even with all columns in the view and ~sitecollection/_layouts/15/sp.ui.tileview.js or ~site/_layouts/15/sp.ui.tileview.js. Would be nice, if it worked.
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:01 PM
  • There is an easy way to do this.

Add columns to the Promoted Links list.

1. Add a column named Page.
    2. Type in name of the page on which you would like this link to appear.
    3. Add a column named Row.
    4. Create a view filtered by page name and Row. Example: Show only when Page = HomePage AND Row = 1
    5. Create another view filtered by page name and another Row. Example: Show only when Page = HomePage AND Row = 2.
    6. Go the page you would like the links to appear. Edit the Page.
    7. Add Promoted Links app part (still not used to the app thing) and select your view for Row 1
    8. Add another Promoted Links app part and select the view for Row 2.
    9. Lather, Rinse and Repeat.

Tamara Bredemus SharePoint Minion...working up to Maven

Thank you for the hint! This is indeed the best solution in case it is not possible to use SP Designer.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 9:55 AM
  • I added a list called 'promoted links location'

Then I created items in the list, for example: Left, Right, Top, Bottom.

In the list settings, create a view corresponding to each item in the list. For example: 'top' 'bottom' 'left' 'right' and filter the view to equal only one item. 

On your page, add two copies of the Promoted Links using the main 'tile' view. 

Then add two copies of this 'promoted links location' list. Set each to a different view. Connect each to one of the promoted links. Then minimize or hide the list. You may need to edit the web part properties to configure the link.

List 1 - set view to Left (set to hidden or minimize)

List 2 - set view to Right (set to hidden or minimize)

Promoted Links                                                           Promoted Links(2)

(configure link to list 1)                                                                         (configure link to list 2 )

Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:09 PM
  • Tamara -

Are you referring to the "Tiles" view? I have already created views to filter the data.  My issue is that there are no options to configure the "Tiles" view.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:10 PM
  • You actually don't need SPD to create a new editable view as weldingza did in his reply. You can just use the WebUI to create a new Standard View. This implicitly uses the List's Default View to create your new View. And because Tiles is the Default View for the Promoted Links list, you will get a copy of the Tiles view that is fully editable (including from within the List View Webpart).

I think this is what Tamara means in Step 4 of her solution: Use Standard View to create your new view.

Now can someone explain to me why Microsoft made the Tiles view non-editable to begin with?

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:19 PM