none
SharePoint Server 2019 - How to limit Sharing by default access with "People With Existing Access" on document? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have modern team site in on-premises, where I have set following option to disable sharing user outside of the site:

Then, when I try to share document as site member , user is still able to share document , how can I make "People with Existing Access" as default setting for all the documents in the site collection as mentioned in following screen?

Best Regards,

Dipti Chhatrapati

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• No, unfortunately this isn't possible in SharePoint 2019 and even in SharePoint Online.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:10 PM
  • For me, this was possible in SharePoint Online where by default all the document has "People with existing access" sharing and site member user was unable to share the document with the user who has no access on the site --> This is exactly, I want to have in SharePoint on-premises, option is there, however it seems to be not working as expected as it works in SharePoint Online - is this SP On premises bug OR there is another way to configure it?

Although, If I explicitly set "People with existing access" sharing option on the document in SharePoint On premises, and then if I try to share with outside user within the organization, I could see the message as indicated in following screen and "Sharing" button was disabled too:

That means, this seems to be working in on-premises? but it seems either configuration is missing in on-premises OR I am missing something !!

Any clue ?

Dipti Chhatrapati

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:30 PM
  • Not sure if SharePoint 2019 has a place to edit individual site collection sharing setting.

For online, we can do this from GUI or PowerShell with changing SharingCapability property.

Have you tried to check the SharingCapability site property on premise?

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 1:27 AM
  • 2019 doesn't offer that property. DefaultLinkType is marked as internal, so it isn't settable.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:06 AM
  • Hi Dipti Chhatrapati,  

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 6:10 AM