none
How to build SharePoint 2013 DR farm with SQL AlwaysOn Availability Group. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I hope to reach out for anyone have done this or have knowledgeable  with SharePoint 2013 DR using SQL Availability group,  Please advise or comment.   I really appreciate all.  Please pardon me if my questions below are not making sense as this is my first time doing this task. 

I need to build a complete DR for a SharePoint 2013 environment.  For the past few months,  I have build out the DR farm but I have struggle to understand on how to create / setup and configure SQL AlwaysOn  Availability Groups  at the detail level. 

I search through many technical documents and most suggest about the same architecture for SharePoint DR with SQL AOAG but I just can't find the detail information enough on how to create the AG Groups and how configure the AG groups according to the document.  I would think the authors must have thought that this information is simple enough to do without much explanation.   Well in fact, I went over this with the DBA and they raise many questions that I could not answer or explain. 

Our current Primary SharePoint Farm:

One AOAG group Prod-Group1

Database:  All databases:   config,  Service apps,  content databases

Member:  SQL-N1 and SQL-N2  (Synchronous)

SQL-N1 Primary   SQL-N2  secondary

Listener:   Prod-Listener

SQL Alias:  created SQL_Services for the Prod-listener

Configure SharePoint to connect to SQL_Services.

Working great so far…

I plan to do the following:

This is one of the closest model that I hope to achieve from this design  diagram

SharePointDR1

Primary SharePoint Farm:

Keep the existing AOAG Group Prod-Group1

Same member nodes:  SQL-N1 and SQL-N2 (Synchronous commit)

Keep same listener for Prod-Group1:    Prod-listener

Keep same SQL Alias:  created SQL_Services for the Prod-listener

Change:

For Prod-Group1

Database:  only include SharePoint configuration and Service Apps databases on this farm.  Content databases here will be moved to Prod-Group2

Create a new AOAG Group:   Prod-Group2

Member nodes:  SQL-N2 and SQL-N3 (Asynchronous)

SQL-N2 Primary,   SQL-N3 secondary

Database:  Only Content Databases

No listener (as suggested in technical document for Asynchronous and cross farm node) 

Question:   

• Will the change above on SQL transparent or will have an affect SharePoint Which still configured to connect to SQL Alias SQL_Services?
    • How do Primary SharePoint farm connect to content databases now that in Prod-Group2 and without a listener (no VNN or DNS name).  is this transparency ?  or how do I configure SharePoint to connect to Prod-Group2?

Answer to these question will help me to build  SharePoint DR farm the same way

SharePoint DR Farm:

Create a AOAG Group3  (local to this farm)

Member nodes:  SQL-N3 and SQL-N4 (Synchronous commit)

SQL-N3 Primary   SQL-N4  secondary

Create a listener for AOAG Group3 (VNN):    Group3-listener

SQL Alias:  created SQL_DR for the Group3-listener

SharePoint DR Farm configure to connect to SQL Alias  SQL_DR

Databases:    SharePoint configuration and Service Apps databases on this farm

for content databases,   synchronizing from  PROD-Group2  to SQL-N3 (secondary and read only ) and possible to SQL-N4

SQL-N3 will change when primary when Failover to SharePoint DR farm take place

I think this is how the detail build out will look like but I know I could be completely missing out steps or just plain out wrong.  Please advice and correct me.

Thanks you in advance

Swanl

• Edited by swanl98 Friday, August 16, 2019 4:20 PM highlight topic
    Friday, August 16, 2019 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Swanl,

The all the databases in the SharePoint farm can be added to the SQL AlwaysOn Availability Group.

Yes, you can add the SharePoint content databases only into the SQL AlwaysOn Availability Group.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Swanl,

1. Yes, you can still connect to SQL Alias SQL Services.

2. To configure SharePoint to connect to the Prod-Group2, you should add the sharepoint databases to the Prod-Group2.

To create or configure the SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups, you could refer to the articles below.

Configure SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Groups for SharePoint Server.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/configure-an-alwayson-availability-group

Step-By-Step: Creating a SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn Availability Group.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, August 19, 2019 3:49 AM
  • Hi Sara

Thanks so much for your answer to my question.  on answer number 2,  could you explain what SharePoint databases I need to add.  I planned to add on SharePoint Content databases only.  is that OK?

Thanks

Swanl

Monday, August 19, 2019 4:24 PM
  • Hi Swanl,

The all the databases in the SharePoint farm can be added to the SQL AlwaysOn Availability Group.

Yes, you can add the SharePoint content databases only into the SQL AlwaysOn Availability Group.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:26 AM

• Hi Swanl,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:11 AM
  • Hi Sara

I came up with this as the design before start building out and test.  I really hope it will be realistic but please let me know your input.   I really appreciate it.

On Production farm:

• Create 2 AOAG groups on Production farm: 
      AOAG Grp1 :   Config / CA / Apps database 
      Nodes:  SQL-N1 and SQL-N2, Synchronous Commit
      AOAG Grp2:   Content Databases only
      Nodes:  SQL-N1 and SQL-N2, Synchronous Commit
      Nodes:  SQL-N2 and SQL-N3, Asynchronous Commit

On DR farm

• Create AOAG Grp3:   Config / CA / Apps database
      Nodes:  SQL-N3and SQL-N4 Synchronous Commit

Content databases will be synchronized from Production to Node  SQL-3

Hope this make sense.   Thanks

Swanl

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:22 PM
  • Hi Swanl,

Per my experience, the structure is correct and realistic.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:45 AM
  • Hi Sara

Thanks you for your input.  I feel confident to test this out.

Swanl

Swanl

Thursday, August 22, 2019 5:45 PM