Proper Procedure to restore a SQL VM RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SQL VM. I found that there is 2 entries related to this SQL VM. One is type = Virtual Machine and the other entry type is SQL Virtual Machine. 

Then, I have dump and restore the VM into another new VM. I found that only Virtual Machine entry related to the restored VM in the resource group.

I want to know why's this difference caused and how to fix?

Regards,

K Wong

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 9:59 AM

All replies

• You would be better of asking this question on VM forum but if a person did SQL Server database backups  (.BAK) it is pretty easy to restore them on the new created VM

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 10:56 AM
  • Could you please elaborate your question. Do you want to know about the differences between a VM server image and a VM image with SQL Server?

When you say "restored a VM" are you referring to Capturing the state of the VM with sysprep?

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 12:56 PM
  • I take a snapshot for the SQL VM (The whole VM) and then restore the snapshot using the option "Create a new VM". No sysprep has been used before I would like to use back the data in the original VM.
    Friday, May 29, 2020 3:14 AM
  • With the functionality of how Azure VMs are managed, you are working with complete images. By creating a second VM instance for the restore operation, you can still work with the original (source) VM. 

The other option, as Uri has pointed out, you could perform backup/restore operations by adding an additional managed disk or attached storage to read/write .bak files to. Additionally, there is a feature called Azure Backup Recovery Service vault. Please see:  Back up SQL Server databases in Azure VMs

It would be helpful, as Kalyan has pointed out, if we understood your question in greater detail if the information we provided does not quite answer your question. 

Regards,

Mike

Monday, June 1, 2020 7:40 PM