none
Managed Metadata-Term set issue-Unable to add it to item nor able to get in search RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello Everyone,

    I am facing a weird issue with one particular Term set in SharePoint 2013.  It used to work properly before, however all of sudden It throws an error when I try to tag it to any file. 

    Weird thing is that when I navigate to Central admin→Managed metadata service →Search for the term set, it doesn't show up in search. However when I navigate to that term group, that particular term set is still available. 

    NOte: When I search for any other term set, it shows up the result and I can right way able to select it or can able to  click on that.  Moreover there are no custom properties for this term set at all. 

    I did ran  a powershell to export entire term store to XML and when I did a search in that xml file, this particular term set is available. 

    Even for end users they can see this term set when they try to add, but if they click on that term set, nothing happening, they were not able to add it at all. and if they edit old/previous one it won't allow them to save it as that term set is not valid. 

    NOte: I am using farm account to see it it makes any difference, but still no luck. only this term set is not able to view in search
    

    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:43 PM

Answers

  • I fixed the issue using the powershell by re-creating the new term set label along with GUID. I was using wrong service application name. now it looks good
    • Marked as answer by Joseph8888 Monday, August 26, 2019 3:46 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2019 3:46 PM

All replies

  • Hi, Joseph,

    First let me conclude the symptom of your issue. 

    1. The term set can be find in the Taxonomy Term Store. While the search box cannot find the position.

    2. End users can see the term without any error message. However adding the tag simply changes nothing.

    3. When you (guess using an administrator account) try to tag it , error message pops up.

    4. Exported term store seems fine. 

    It seems there shall be some issues for the system to recognize the term set. What is the error message you see? Did you see a correlation ID?

    Also please try to create a new term set. Check if end users can tag them properly. If they work, you can create a new term set for use. 

    If that does not help, please check the ULS logs and the windows event viewer to find other clues. 

    You can use ULS viewer to help.  Download link here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44020

    Here are some tutorials: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fesiro/2013/11/11/sharepoint-logging-and-troubleshooting-using-ulsviewer/

    http://www.sharepointdiary.com/2015/08/how-to-use-uls-viewer-in-sharepoint-to-analyse-errors.html

    Best Regards

    Jerry


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

    Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:32 AM
  • HI Jerry,

    Yes, the above four steps are correct and we are getting below error when we try to tag that term set. "creating a new value is not allowed in this field please select from the existing terms error while adding term set". 

    We tried from different list too and still it same error. Do you think it was somehow deleted but still showing in UI? And also the major issue is that for all the existing list record, now it's throwing error when er try top edit and save it. The same is same as above. 

    If I try to create new Term set with same name, then it throws an error that "a term set is already available with that name".  However if I create a term set with different name, it works fine. 

    I would like to fix existing items from the list, so I need to create it with same name and Term set ID I believe right? 

    Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:07 PM
  • Hi, Joseph,

    It seems that you would better to delete the old term set. Then create a new term set with same name. The old term set with issue seem to be corrupted. The term set tool can recognize it while when tagging the system cannot find it. 

    Best Regards

    Jerry


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

    Friday, August 23, 2019 1:01 AM
  • I fixed the issue using the powershell by re-creating the new term set label along with GUID. I was using wrong service application name. now it looks good
    • Marked as answer by Joseph8888 Monday, August 26, 2019 3:46 PM
    Monday, August 26, 2019 3:46 PM
  • Hi, Joseph,

    Thanks for your sharing. It will help other community members with similar issue.

    Best Regards

    Jerry


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:59 AM